Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-18-2008, 04:28 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to MichaelsLilGray Send a message via Yahoo to MichaelsLilGray
ammonia sky high... help?

Just recieved my master test kit... not a moment to soon.. Test for Nitrites came back .25 Nitrates 0 Ammonia 2 ppm.. defenantly has been here since ive had the tank. Ive added a live plant to the mix.. and used some ammonia lock.. anybody have any ideas on keeping it down?

tank has cycles for roughtly a month+ now.. so

Old 08-18-2008, 04:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You need to keep doing partial water changes until the tank is fully cycled (i.e. ammonia readings of zero). I'd start with a 50% change right now and keep doing 50% changes (once per day) until you get the ammonia down to around 0.5 ppm. That's about as high as you want (presuming you have some fish in there!)

If you are doing a fishless cycle, then ammonia of 2.0 ppm is fine, and there is nothing you need to do right now other than to continue to monitor things.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:34 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to MichaelsLilGray Send a message via Yahoo to MichaelsLilGray
defenantly have 7 fish and about 5 shrimp in it lol
Old 08-18-2008, 04:35 PM   #4

this is after a pwc last night about 2 am lol. im going to test my water.. and give you guys the reading from that in about 10 min

well the only pwc ill be doing is going to walmart and getting drinking water... my tap water blows to say the least. tap is comming out with 1.5 ppm lol
Old 08-18-2008, 04:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelsLilGray View Post
defenantly have 7 fish and about 5 shrimp in it lol
Ouch. I'd be most worried about the shrimp--they would likely be the first things to go. (And to be honest, I'm a little surprised they are still alive if they have been in water that has 2.0+ ppm ammonia!)

And I know it's too late now, but for future reference, that is too high of a bioload to (really safely) do a fish-in cycle, unless you have just a monster tank (75 gallons plus). IMO, and this is just from my own experience, a good rule of thumb is 1 (or at most 2, if they are very very small) fish for every 10 gallons while cycling. This will keep the ammonia concentration growing slowly enough that they don't suddenly spike to toxic levels too quickly for you to realize & react to it.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:45 PM   #6

read my post above.. its comming out of tap at 1.5 roflmao

guess i get to go get 20 gallons of water from walmart >.<
Old 08-18-2008, 04:59 PM   #7

anything i can do to remedy the problem? i just checked again.. the ammonia lock stuff isnt doing anything. been close to half an hour.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:17 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Use ammonia lock products to neutralize the ammonia. Make sure you are dosing enough to lock up all the ammonia in your water source (exe. Prime will lock up .8ppm/dose so if your tap water is at 1.5 you need to use two doses of Prime). Then trust your math skills because the test kits will still register the ammonia in the water even though it's been converted to a non-toxic form. Once your tank is cycled, the bacteria will remove the non-toxic form of ammonia just as it would the toxic form. Else, you can buy ammonia blocks from a LFS that will remove the locked-up ammonia. HOWEVER, these also might prevent your tank from cycling.

Another thing you can do is a 'silent cycle' (do a search of the forum to find info) which basically means adding a bunch of live plants to your tank. The live plants will help remove the ammonia too (if I remember right).

BTW: I read somewhere that if you have high levels of ammonia in your tap water (I do too) that it means your water source is treated with chloramine instead of chlorine.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:18 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

it is better use use something like ammo lock.

you need to keep ammonia in the tank for the bacteria to grow that you need, if you keep doing water changes then your bacteria colony will not grow. and you will waste money on salt and chemicals for new water.

the ammo lock will make the water safe for the fish while allowing the ammonia to say in the tank for the bacteria to eat and multiply.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:22 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

this is what i use to treat spikes, should one ever happen again.

Tags
ammonia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com