ammonia spike ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Rivercats,got my Gh/Kh test kit today........
The Kh one im puzzled,it says numb of drops taken to go from blue to bright yellow,mine was never blue,it started as a very pale orange at 1 drop,i went right up to 12,which is as far as the chart goes and it just ended up with orange getting darker,certainly not yellow ?????
Gh is 7 drops to go from orange to green,went green on drop 7 so that was straight forward,7 on chart equals 125.3ppm

Did tapwater too,to see what happened....
Kh is same apart from tapwater does go blue at drop 2 then after that up to 12 goes darker orange as it gets up.
Gh was different on tapwater,it turned green at drop 4 which on chart us 71.6ppm,where as on tank water it turned green in drop 7
If you could help me interpret these results thanks hun :)

The 0 Kh means your tap water basicallly has no buffers or dissolved calcium. This is the main reason your having the low ph issue. Gh is general hardness which basically is the amount of dissovled calcium and magnesium in your water. Your Gh is good, I keep mine at 4 so plants have enough magnesium, which is a macro nutrient. IMO I really think you need to get some Brightwell Aquatics called Reminderaliz-P or Seachems Equalibrium and use it as if your tap water was RO- reverse osmosis water. It will add calcium-magnesium back into your WC water which will eventually get your Gh/Kh/Ph up. It gives directions of how much to use on the bottles. Your Gh will increase some but IMO that won't be an issue. All you need it to get your Kh up to a steady 4 and you should see a difference.

The 0 Kh means your tap water basicallly has no buffers or dissolved calcium. This is the main reason your having the low ph issue. Gh is general hardness which basically is the amount of dissovled calcium and magnesium in your water. Your Gh is good, I keep mine at 4 so plants have enough magnesium, which is a macro nutrient. IMO I really think you need to get some Brightwell Aquatics called Reminderaliz-P or Seachems Equalibrium and use it as if your tap water was RO- reverse osmosis water. It will add calcium-magnesium back into your WC water which will eventually get your Gh/Kh/Ph up. It gives directions of how much to use on the bottles. Your Gh will increase some but IMO that won't be an issue. All you need it to get your Kh up to a steady 4 and you should see a difference.

So the orange colour means zero KH,cos tapwater did go blue on drop 2 then orange,but tank just orange getting darker.
Thanks for help,ill look into getting the Equilibrium then,does tht mean I still leave the CC in tank then hun ?

Hope this works as I'm running out of ideas!

Hi Rivetcats just to update you on this Ph problem,im using the Seachems Equilibrium and we have success last 2 wc,adding the above and at last yes a stable Ph of around 6.8/7.0 !!!
Many thanks for all your help,my plants even look better for it and I now have Nitrates 5.0 which I never had before cheers hun you know your stuff :)

Back
Top Bottom