Ammonia spike?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Milano11

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29 gallon tank
2 aquaclear 50s, both have foam, carbon, acurel ammonia reducing pads, and biomax of course
9 Amazon swords (plants)
Fish
2 Parrot Cichlid, one larger, one smaller
1 Pacu ( relax hes small)
1 Flowerhorn( again, juvenile)
1 Green Terror
1 baby jack dempsey cichlid
2 Gouramis
1 pleco
1 baby lobster

I did a 60 percent water change last week. I just started not vacuuming near my plants to ensure they are getting enough nutriets, but I did that, and did a 20 percent change about 2 days ago, came home today to use my api test kit and ammonia was at 8 ppm. The fish all look great however swimming and active as usual and came to greet me at the glass when I got home. So I did a 30 percent change, changed the foam, acurel pad, and carbon to one filter, and cleaned the other ( in a bucket of tank water). I tested a half hour later and was at 4ppm ( scratches head). Might take a while since the new filtration replacements? Suggestions? I feed them more then usual on the weekends, but I don't overfeed since I used to since I was a kid. When cleaning the tank I use Novaqua and this time I used amquel, I usually try not to though, and put in a tiny bit of aquarium salt.

I use API Co2 booster 3ML daily as directed, and use plant fertilizer monthly or after a large water change

I switched from a 10 to a 30 gallon back in september.

My nitrate and nitrite levels are 0, isnt this usually a problem with tank not being cycled?

Please give me some tips! lotta fish in here that I love and don't want any problems with them.

Also, I know some of these fish will grow very large, I have more then adequate filtration and upon growth, will move fish to larger tanks.

I have a 29 gallon tank
2 aquaclear 50s, both have foam, carbon, acurel ammonia reducing pads, and biomax of course
9 Amazon swords (plants)
Fish
2 Parrot Cichlid, one larger, one smaller
1 Pacu ( relax hes small)
1 Flowerhorn( again, juvenile)
1 Green Terror
1 baby jack dempsey cichlid
2 Gouramis
1 pleco
1 baby lobster

I did a 60 percent water change last week. I just started not vacuuming near my plants to ensure they are getting enough nutriets, but I did that, and did a 20 percent change about 2 days ago, came home today to use my api test kit and ammonia was at 8 ppm. The fish all look great however swimming and active as usual and came to greet me at the glass when I got home. So I did a 30 percent change, changed the foam, acurel pad, and carbon to one filter, and cleaned the other ( in a bucket of tank water). I tested a half hour later and was at 4ppm ( scratches head). Might take a while since the new filtration replacements? Suggestions? I feed them more then usual on the weekends, but I don't overfeed since I used to since I was a kid. When cleaning the tank I use Novaqua and this time I used amquel, I usually try not to though, and put in a tiny bit of aquarium salt.

I use API Co2 booster 3ML daily as directed, and use plant fertilizer monthly or after a large water change

I switched from a 10 to a 30 gallon back in september.

My nitrate and nitrite levels are 0, isnt this usually a problem with tank not being cycled?

Please give me some tips! lotta fish in here that I love and don't want any problems with them.

Also, I know some of these fish will grow very large, I have more then adequate filtration and upon growth, will move fish to larger tanks.

First of all your aquarium is way overstocked you would need a way larger tank. I would do two emergency sixty percent water changes to get ammo down. I would also recommend that you either get multiple larger tanks now or give most of your stock away. Another thing is that you should never change your filter media. You should only rinse it in old tank water when doing water changes. Another is that you should not be using ammo reducing media you should be relying only on your bio filtration. I will find you a link about cycling a tank with fish in it.

I wasn't relying on this media, just figured it couldnt hurt. Your not supposed to change carbon monthly and spongues every few months? Also, please see the video on my page, these fish are not large at all(yet) they are all juvenile.

I wasn't relying on this media, just figured it couldnt hurt. Your not supposed to change carbon monthly and spongues every few months? Also, please see the video on my page, these fish are not large at all(yet) they are all juvenile.

Youre right it won't hurt but its better not to rely on it. Yes you are supposed to change it monthly I'm sorry that I forgot to mention that its not crucial and you won't notice a difference if you don't have any. The only reason most people use it is to remove meds. You don't need to change the sponges if you do you are throwing away all your bb. The companies simply recommend it so you buy more sponges and their bacterial supplements they just want more money. I know that they are small but you should always purchase fish thinking of their adult size

If I offended you I am sorry. I simply want to help you and your fish.

No offense taken, I just was trying to figure out this spike. I have had all these fish in the same tank together for a few months now. The only recent additions were the jack dempsey which is the smallerst fish in the tank, and blue lobster, which doesnt do much to affect ammonia.

All of the fish will be moved to homes to accomodate them as they grow but this is my setup as of now, I also change sponges when they get too icky to clean, but I never change my biomax, and since I have 2 aquaclear 50's runnning i stagger them so one always has a very dirty sponge when I swap out for a new one. Does plant fertilizer affect ammonia? I use API Co2 booster daily, along with florapride made by tetra every few water changes, and root tabs occassionally.

My only direct thought would be since this was the first time i disturbed the gravel under my plants to do a large vaccum? Would this affect it at all?

Appreciate the feedback, theres a video of my tank here to see
29 Gallon cichlid update - YouTube

No offense taken, I just was trying to figure out this spike. I have had all these fish in the same tank together for a few months now. The only recent additions were the jack dempsey which is the smallerst fish in the tank, and blue lobster, which doesnt do much to affect ammonia.

All of the fish will be moved to homes to accomodate them as they grow but this is my setup as of now, I also change sponges when they get too icky to clean, but I never change my biomax, and since I have 2 aquaclear 50's runnning i stagger them so one always has a very dirty sponge when I swap out for a new one. Does plant fertilizer affect ammonia? I use API Co2 booster daily, along with florapride made by tetra every few water changes, and root tabs occassionally.

My only direct thought would be since this was the first time i disturbed the gravel under my plants to do a large vaccum? Would this affect it at all?

Appreciate the feedback, theres a video of my tank here to see
29 Gallon cichlid update - YouTube

Gravel vacuuming should not affect it. My guess is that the edition and changing the sponge threw your bb out of whack. I still recommend that you get larger tanks as soon as possible not when the fish absolutely need it. I also suggest that you do at least one 50 percent water change a week if not two.

Back
Top Bottom