ammonia test kits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mxfj40

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank is going through the cycling process(on its 19 day)I have been watching my ammonia closely. My nitrites started rising two days ago. I have been using the Aq. Pharmaceuticals Nessler based kit(8 drops from one bottle) I was running low on this so I purchased an Aq. Pharmaceuticals salicylate based kit(bottles #1 & #2 -8drops each) I tested my water tonight after a water change the Nessler kit read between zero and .5 .The salicylate kit read 1.0. Which kit is more accurate?

Hi

I have a new tank as well. I am in my third week. I already have fish in mine. But I have lost several.

I have the AMMONIA QUICK DIP TEST STRIPS by Jungle brand. I need something better I think. I paid 12.99 for a bottle of 25 test strips. I think I need to buy an entire kit with the nitrite test also. If you find a good one let me know. I have a separate pH kit as well.

I have well water and I dont know how accurate my tests are either. But something is wrong cause my fish are croaking. :cry:

LS :oops: :roll: :mrgreen:

I guess I'm doing something right because I have had 17 fish from day one and havent lost any. I am on my 20th day. I have used the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals master test kit up until know. Now I have switched to the same brand (part# LR8600)($6.99/petco)it is a salicylate based kit with more precise levels of detection. I think it is more accurate but nobody has given me any feedback on this topic except you. I perform water changes if my ammonia gets over .5. I have done 4 (25%)water changes in the 20 days I've been cycling. My nitrites started rising 3 days ago and they are starting to reduce the ammonia.Good luck with your fish.

I have used AP kits for years with good results. The results from the AP kit agrees with my Seachem ammonia kit so I would think they were correct. I use them exclusively for FW and still use a few of them for SW.
Logan J

Back
Top Bottom