Ammonia Test Kits that WORK?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noteworthy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been using Start Right water conditioner and it seems to be giving me errors on my tank.

Readings:
Straight Tap - showing 2 ppm Ammonia
Tap w/ enough conditioner that is 600% more than needed. - 0 ppm
(I just wanted a little to test the tap accidently poured too much. But the product does say you can't use too much)
Aquarium water w/exact amounts of conditioner - 2 ppm
(Maybe the conditioner isn't spreading throughout the water and covering it all?)

I've been using the Aquarium Pharm. Freshwater Test Kit. It has the two bottle ammonia testing (8 drops of each).

Should I just try another test kit? Suggestions?
Should I just pour a ton of conditioner in the water and see if it gives more 'realistic' test results?

I recently just set this tank up. 29G w/ 6 platies

Current readings as of today:
Ammonia - 2 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrates - call it funny but I see a slight tint.. about 10 ppm

I did use some gravel and filter media from an established tank for a little while.

I am using carbon in the media. Filter is Regent 330gph HOB filter. Basically an emperor w/o biowheels.. which is my other question. Do I really need biowheels?

Hrmm. Before you buy another test, grab a water sample and ask your lfs to test it. I'd bring water from the tank and water from the tap.

How long has the tank been up n running? A week? A month?

It has been up for about 2 1/2 weeks. I did change out the substrate, which would definately affect the cycle.

Info on expiration dates: (Guide I found From Aquarium Pharm.)
Test Solutions Shelf Life from bottling date
Wide Range pH Test Solution 3 years
Ammonia Test Solution #1 3 years
Ammonia Test Solution #2 3 years
High Range pH Indicator Solution (m-Cresol Purple) 3 years
Nitrate Test Solution #1 3 years
Nitrate Test Solution #2 3 years
GH Test Solution 3 years
KH Test Solution 4 years
Nitrite Test Solution 4 years
Fresh Water Ammonia Test Solution (Nessler) 5 years
Fresh Water pH Indicator Solution 5 years
High Range pH Indicator Solution (Cresol Red) 5 years
Salt Level Test Solution #1 5 years
Salt Level Test Solution #2 5 years

To determine bottling date check the lot # on the reagent bottle. The last 4 digits are the month and year of bottling.

Example: 33A1201 would = a bottling date of December 2001.

If you have any more questions please contact me.

Karin Berke
Technical Services Representative
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals
800-847-0659

Well I used this guide.. found my ammonia bottles were 'bottled in May of 2003' - Which technically means the bottles should be good until May of 2006.

*shrug*

Ok, its still definitely cycling. I' concerned about getting ammonia readings from the tap; is why you should have that verified.

Oh, and missed the biowheel question; sorry. I lurve the biowheels; I can replace all my filter media in my emperor 400 and there is nary a blip in nitrogenous waste. The good bacteria colonize surfaces, and the biowheels provide a LOT of surface for em. You don't need em, but they sure are helpful. I can move em from tank to tank as well, and use the mature ones to help cycle other tanks.

Wow, I didn't know test kits lasted 3 years.

Actually, I get a reading of ammonia from the tap as well. (I had forgotten about that and just tested it now). I suppose it's because the water is treated with chloramine, which is basically chlorine + ammonia. You can look up your local water report to see if they're using chloramine.

http://www.epa.gov/safewater/dwinfo.htm

Back
Top Bottom