Ammonia - too many water changes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maz71

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Kept an aquarium years ago, but when I moved new owner took over. Several weeks ago I bought a 7 litre betta haven for one! I kept it for a couple of weeks with just water and bio treatment. Fish shop said water ok so bought fighter. I’ve had him a week and he’s obviously not too well. I’ve bought a water test kit and awful high ammonia reading. Is it ok to do a 10% water change every day. I think there is a slight reduction in reading today. But don’t want to kill him with too many changes. Read up on the damage Amonia does so not optimistic on his survival.

You can do a water change many times a day, or continuously. That is what streams do. Beneficial bacteria clings to surfaces, not water, (although it can move through water). Water changes are always good for fish.

Depending on HOW high the ammonia reading is I'd do 50-75% water change now then another 50% in a day or so until reading is correct

A 10% water change won't be enough to remove very much ammonia. You could do a 50% everyday if you wanted to. For the most part I don't believe in too many water changes, but there are exceptions to this.

Also check your tap water directly, to see if there is ammonia in it! Not unheard of that the town/city water ends up with ammonia - ewww! But true.

Back
Top Bottom