Ammonia toxicity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is 0.25 ammonia really that bad? My tank always reads 0.25, even though I do 50% weekly water changes and my tank has been cycled for a year.

Is 0.25 ammonia really that bad? My tank always reads 0.25, even though I do 50% weekly water changes and my tank has been cycled for a year.
Do you have any plants decomposing? Also, maybe the 50% water change may do it. I only do 25% to 35% weekly with a vacuum. When you take out too much water your keeping youre tank very clean, and maybe the beneficial bacteria is having a hard time sticking. Just some thoughts.

Did you test your source water?

I was never getting anything less than a .25 ammonia reading during cycling and even a few weeks after adding fish when I was sure the cycle had completed. Turns out that SeaChem Prime will give you false-positive ammonia readings: I started testing my water -before- water changes / top-offs (when adding Prime) and I now consistently read .00 for ammonia.

Of course, I can't find the friggin' post now, but SeaChem has responded to inquiries in the matter verifying it. Your internet-fu might be more effective than mine at the moment.

Last edited:
Prime doesn't give false positive readings, but it will detect detoxified ammonia.

I may have worded it incorrectly, but that's what I was referring to. API liquid tests and most strip tests will register the detoxified ammonia (ammonium) as a positive ammonia reading.

Back
Top Bottom