Ammonia wont go away!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you have any trouble finding Prime, (some people do), don't worry. The Aqueon stuff you are using is perfectly fine. Others would be Nutrafin AquaPlus or API Stress Coat to name a few, so you have options just in case.

Yes Missie it is red and white i think (prime) also as for the Python, Aqueon makes a version and also Lee or Lee's makes one that hooks to your sink. It really helps IMO.

I don't think stresscoat detoxifies ammonia, that's one of the main reasons prime is suggested, its also really concentrated so its cheaper in the long run. Any conditioner will work though if it says it detoxes ammonia on the label. I use a powder called cloram-x

Some people would say it's overkill and not necessary for a 20 gallon, but for me, not having to haul buckets is priceless. One of the concerns people have with Pythons is that they remove water too quickly and dont give you enough cleaning time with it's gravel vac, but you can adjust the flow to syphon the water out either faster or slower. Since I got mine, I couldn't imagine life without it.

I haven't got a python as of yet...I think the idea of running a python out the door sounds lovely, but I don't like the idea of accidently vaccuming up a shrimp, snail, or fry and not being able to retrieve it from the bucket.

siva said:
I haven't got a python as of yet...I think the idea of running a python out the door sounds lovely, but I don't like the idea of accidently vaccuming up a shrimp, snail, or fry and not being able to retrieve it from the bucket.

Out the door as in outside? Unfortunately it needs to be hooked to a faucet to create the suction, so it's gonna need to go down the drain. I haven't managed to vacuum up any RCS yet (at least that I've noticed, lol.). You could hook it to a hose spigot outside, but then you couldn't temp match when refilling it and you'd just be pouring ice cold water into the tank.

Hmm always hear ppl on here talking about running it out the door..watering their gardens with it, etc?

siva said:
Hmm always hear ppl on here talking about running it out the door..watering their gardens with it, etc?

You could probably use the long hose (minimum 25 feet) and just start a syphon to use as a manual gravel vac, then attach to the sink to refill. I figure it'd be a pain to get a syphon going with a 25 foot hose without the automatic suction from the sink though. I'm lazy, seems like a bit too much work for me, lol.

Hmm. Interesting. I remember a thread going on and on about how great it was running it out the door. That's the only reason I was even interested in purchasing one..so I'm not constantly bleaching out my sink everytime I poor some fish water down it.

siva said:
Hmm. Interesting. I remember a thread going on and on about how great it was running it out the door. That's the only reason I was even interested in purchasing one..so I'm not constantly bleaching out my sink everytime I poor some fish water down it.

I might have just missed one of the feature of it, ...hmm, I'll have to look into it.

ive been doing 50% water changes... and then retesting water. should the ammonia instantly go to 0 after a water change and cleaning gravel?

I wouldn't get too intense with your gravel cleaning during cycling.

No, you'd have to do a 100% water change to get the ammo completely to zero. If it was .25 the reading an hour after a 50% change should read in between 0 and .25.

siva said:
I wouldn't get too intense with your gravel cleaning during cycling.

No, you'd have to do a 100% water change to get the ammo completely to zero. If it was .25 the reading an hour after a 50% change should read in between 0 and .25.

Agreed. Careful doing any type of aggressive vacuuming or cleaning. If you're getting really dirty gravel you should cut back heavily on feeding (a good idea while cycling with fish anyway ), and if you need to vacuum do only a small section per pwc. In theory, a 50% pwc will lower the ammo by 50% in the water.

makes sense! can i do a 90% water change to get rid of most of the ammonia?

missie said:
makes sense! can i do a 90% water change to get rid of most of the ammonia?

If the readings deem it necessary, you can drain it low enough just to cover the fish with water. It may be a bit stressful, but they prefer it to ammonia poisoning. A better solution would be back to back pwc's.

Back
Top Bottom