Ammonia wont go away!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes! I have the API kit. Ammonia level has been pretty consistant at 4ppm since.. not sure how long it usually takes to drop but ive been testing everyday. I have also noticed cloudy water??

mdawg75 said:
the cloudiness may mean a burst of bacterial growth :) you want that right now

Agreed. The bacterial bloom is a sign that things are getting under way :). You'll start seeing an ammo drop very soon.

ok. well, the plot thickens...lol.. tested the ammo... 8ppm!!!!!!!! i havent added any more. also- hubby did the water change for me- and he added water to tank 5 min after adding de cholorinator.... and lastly- i originally took the airstone out- after readin through eco23 fishless cycle thing again i realized the airstone was a good thing and had the hubby put it back. however.. he said it looked like white things were floating in the water from the tubing.. liike salt from when it was in before... is that really bad???

missie said:
ok. well, the plot thickens...lol.. tested the ammo... 8ppm!!!!!!!! i havent added any more. also- hubby did the water change for me- and he added water to tank 5 min after adding de cholorinator.... and lastly- i originally took the airstone out- after readin through eco23 fishless cycle thing again i realized the airstone was a good thing and had the hubby put it back. however.. he said it looked like white things were floating in the water from the tubing.. liike salt from when it was in before... is that really bad???

Hi missie :). The white stuff shouldn't be an issue...probably just some type or buildup you can worry about during weekly maintenance once you have fish. Bad news is another pwc is in your (or hubby's) future. We've gotta get the ammo around 3-4ppm. I'd do a 50-60% pwc to get the ammo down. If you're adding dechlorinator first, then raw tap water after...make sure you add enough dechlorinator for the total volume of the tank, not just the amount of water you're replacing. At least that's the rule with Seachem Prime.

Missie , I had that white clingy stuff on my air tubing also, after I cycled and got fish it was still there ( I wasnt sure about removing it) but right after I got my brown BN Pleco it disappeared. :)

Ive been doing 50% pwc's sometimes even a little more.. the ammo has only slightly been lowered below 8. is this not allowing my cycle to start because clearly i put in way to much ammonia...although i didnt think it was much at all.

missie said:
Ive been doing 50% pwc's sometimes even a little more.. the ammo has only slightly been lowered below 8. is this not allowing my cycle to start because clearly i put in way to much ammonia...although i didnt think it was much at all.

Since it's empty, you can just drain it to the gravel and refill if you want. Might be worth buying a Python or Aquaeon water changer for the future. I couldn't live without mine.

Back
Top Bottom