Ammonia wont go away!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missie

Aquarium Advice Freak
:banghead:

HOW LONG DO THESE MINI CYCLES LAST??? GEEZ??!!! I LITERALLY HAVE TO DO AT LEAST 50% WATER CHANGES EVERY SINGLE DAY OF THE AMMONIA SPIKES UP DRASTICALLY! IVE BEEN SLOWLY CLEANING THE GRAVEL.. I DONT HAVE AN OVERSTOCKED TANK..THE TANK IS ABOUT 2 MONTHS OLD. CAN I ADD MEDICATION OR SOMETHING TO GET THIS UNDERCONTROL... I FEEL LIKE IM GONNA START LOOSIN FISH SOON...
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you have your test readings? Usually can tell how far in you are based on ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels.

carey said:
Do you have your test readings? Usually can tell how far in you are based on ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels.

Agreed. May be your ammonia is off the charts that you'll need to do more PWC than what you are doing now. It'd be helpful to post your readings. Then we can try to figure it out.

Nitrite 0
Nitrate in between 0 and 5 (its higher than 0 but less than 5)
ph 8
ammonia (after water change 0.25)
however, i was out of town for 2 days and it spiked to 1.0 ppm
lfs gave me some ammonia remover stuff in a mesh bag to put in my filter in addtion to do pwc's gr!!!!!!!!!!!!

another q: i got an airstone..but silly me bought a pump that is only up till 13 gal. and i have a 20 gal tank..is that ok???

it's unfortunate but to keep what you have alive you gotta keep up the pwc's. The ammo lock stuff can help but you don't wanna run a tank with that all the time. I would just keep testing and when the ammonia goes over .25 do a pwc. This will end, don't worry. You've done great if you haven't lost any fish. :-D

thanks carey! Its just stressful because i dont feel like im doing enough... poor little guys!:)
do you know anything about pumps for airstones? whether its okay to use a pump thatsays up to 13 gallons for a 20 gallon tank? its 30 miles to the nearest lfs and dont want to make the trp if i dont have too.

thanks carey! Its just stressful because i dont feel like im doing enough... poor little guys!:)
do you know anything about pumps for airstones? whether its okay to use a pump thatsays up to 13 gallons for a 20 gallon tank? its 30 miles to the nearest lfs and dont want to make the trp if i dont have too.

IMO an air pump for a 13g will do fine for a 20g but no BIGGER! :lol:

carey said:
it's unfortunate but to keep what you have alive you gotta keep up the pwc's. The ammo lock stuff can help but you don't wanna run a tank with that all the time. I would just keep testing and when the ammonia goes over .25 do a pwc. This will end, don't worry. You've done great if you haven't lost any fish. :-D

I agree. I'm not too familiar with the ammonia absorbing materials (zeolite?), but it seems to me that it would be a competing source with the beneficial bacteria for the ammonia. My math might not be correct here, but I'd be concerned that when it was removed there would be the potential for another mini cycle because the bacteria is not as prolific as it would be if the (zeolite?) was not used.

so you think i should take that mesh bag out?? it didnt fit in my filter so i cut the bag and dumped out 60 % of the stuff inside then just tied the mesh and stuffed it in there... my mollies behavior has been changing they are hiding more when normally they greet me anytime im near... BOO!

I have used the zeolite or ammonia removing crystals before without negative side effects. It's not an ideal solution, just a bandaid. I would leave it since you you put it in but just keep an eye on your parameters. Also, did you rinse the stuff? I know with the fluval media you should rinse it first before adding it or the dust gets all in the water.

Cool. So that shouldn't be irritating your fish. :-D

Just do what you're doing, it'll be over soon then you can concentrate on the fun parts of this hobby.

missie said:
trying to hook up my pump.. where does the check valve go?

Anywhere along the line. Mine are about 3 inches from the pump. They're just in case power goes out and the water tries to syphon back down the tube and into the pump.

so i cut the line? and which way does it face..there is sides pointing in and out

missie said:
so i cut the line? and which way does it face..there is sides pointing in and out

Yep, just cut it. All the check valves are different, it should say on the packaging which side points which way.

:banghead:

HOW LONG DO THESE MINI CYCLES LAST??? GEEZ??!!! I LITERALLY HAVE TO DO AT LEAST 50% WATER CHANGES EVERY SINGLE DAY OF THE AMMONIA SPIKES UP DRASTICALLY! IVE BEEN SLOWLY CLEANING THE GRAVEL.. I DONT HAVE AN OVERSTOCKED TANK..THE TANK IS ABOUT 2 MONTHS OLD. CAN I ADD MEDICATION OR SOMETHING TO GET THIS UNDERCONTROL... I FEEL LIKE IM GONNA START LOOSIN FISH SOON...
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it a mini cycle or a cycle..I thought your tank was still cycling. By the look of your nitrates, it seems you are cycling and not in a mini cycle.

IMO your tank is overstocked.

I agree. I'm not too familiar with the ammonia absorbing materials (zeolite?), but it seems to me that it would be a competing source with the beneficial bacteria for the ammonia. My math might not be correct here, but I'd be concerned that when it was removed there would be the potential for another mini cycle because the bacteria is not as prolific as it would be if the (zeolite?) was not used.

I think adding any extra additives when you're trying to cycle is a bad idea.

Back
Top Bottom