Ammonia won't turn to nitrite.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

m0stUniQue

Aquarium Advice Activist
As you know I fish in cycled an aquarium started around august 5th, and levels where normal 2 weeks later. 0-0-~5ammo/trite/trate. I added 1 gold gourami and 2 very small angels and bam ammonia .5 constant water changes but it hangs around .5 all fish eat and are acting healthy my guess because my p.h is ~6.5-6.9 hard to tell with api colors. Anyway I've done water changes but it stays around .5 less toxic because of ph so there's ammonium in my aquarium not ammonia from what i've heard. But it's been a good week and a half and still no nitrIte, I've added prime to keep ammonia non-toxic while the bio filter developps. Anyway how long till nitrites show up i have a bio wheel 200b and i've added some aquaclear ceramic media for a 30 gallon filter in the extra slot maybe that will help any advice welcome.
Thanks,
Troy
EDIT: Used seeding material from old filter. And when I checked recently after ammonia showed up and the water from it contained zero nitrite, or nitrate so it's not helping so i removed it no change from ammonnia.

So how long in total have you been doing a fish-in cycle? If it's only been a couple of weeks then it isn't that long and nitrites could take a while to show up. Do you do water changes as needed? What dechlorinator are you using? You said you fish-in cycled for two weeks then added more fish: which fish did you cycle with to start with? What size tank? A tank couldn't possibly fully cycle in two weeks unless you used a ton of seeded media, I don't think.

It took me 8 weeks to cycle with fish. Didn't see nitrites until week 6.5. One tip, add as few chemicals as you can. Prime is good. It actually turns ammonia into ammonium which is easier for the bacteria to consume.

Yeah I used two white tip tetras and two neons I know the numbers are off but I listened to a lfs employee and I think maybe i read a false cycle so I guess I'm three weeks into a full cycle you're right it probably wasn't fully cycle and yes I've always kept it in between .25 and .5 and my low ph makes it less toxic ammonium and so does prime so I'll see how it goes but with prime you're supposed to add it and not do water changes because prime turns ammonia into ammonium which is non toxic but maybe I'm wrong I'll wait it out and keep testing

Yeah I used two white tip tetras and two neons I know the numbers are off but I listened to a lfs employee and I think maybe i read a false cycle so I guess I'm three weeks into a full cycle you're right it probably wasn't fully cycle and yes I've always kept it in between .25 and .5 and my low ph makes it less toxic ammonium and so does prime so I'll see how it goes but with prime you're supposed to add it and not do water changes because prime turns ammonia into ammonium which is non toxic but maybe I'm wrong I'll wait it out and keep testing

Prime can help detoxify for 48 hours but it should not be used in place of water changes, IMO.

Don't forget that your test kit will still get an ammonia reading when using Prime because they test for total ammonia-NH3 & NH4.
I ended up cycling with fish by accident for exactly the same reason...LFS guy said i was good to go.
Sounds like you have a good handle on things and have done your research. You are exactly right about low temp and ph keeping the toxic level of ammonia down. With the Prime and PWC your fish should do fine.

Yeah I'm out on a trip and I'll be back sunday so i've arranged someone to come to my house everyday and add prime water changes arn't possible but i will test and do a large water change when I get home

Back
Top Bottom