Amonia and nitrite problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marinemammalover

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so I am currently cycling my twenty gallon tank with six zebra danios... And my ammonia levels are currently at 0.5 I am planning on doing a 50% water change later this evening. However, my nitrite levels are at 1.0 currently... I have around 2.0 nitrites in my tap water ( i used test strips to determine this and haven't had time to test it with my API liquid testing kit) but I have or I thought I had eliminated the nitrites by using amquel plus which is supposed to detoxify nitrites...what is happening here???? Should I just keep doing water changes or are the nitrites from the natural bacteria in the water???? And at what ppm are nitrites toxic???? Please help!!!

O and I have been cycling for about two weeks. I started with a bacteria culture but then realized it wasn't the "right" bacteria and stopped using it. I only used it for a week..... Thanks

I could never get a good reading with test strips. That may be the problem.

Just to clarify I've been using the API master liquid kit for testing it's just the tap water that I used the strips for....

OOps sorry. The only thing I can think of is you have to realy shake bottle 2 for 30sec and the test tube for 1 min. but you probally already know that.

API nitrAte test is garbage IMO. I had so many false reads. I'm tossing it and gonna try a different brand.

Personally I like the API kit... It's way better than test strips anyway!! :)

Do you have public water? First, test your nitrite level in your tap with the API test & see what this reads. In the US, the EPA mandates that the maximum allowable nitrite levels in public water sources is 1ppm. Most municipalities have their water reports available online. You can contact the EPAs safe drinking water hotline for further help if your seeing nitrite levels in excess of 1ppm (800-426-4791) or contact your municipality directly. If you have well water, you should be having it tested annually for your own health & safety and addressing any problems that may exist.

I have public water and I just tested it with my API master liquid kit. Here are the results....

High pH: 8.2-8.4
Ammonia: 0.5
Nitrite: 0.5
Nitrate: 0

Ok, well this gives you a basis for your tank numbers. While cycling, .5 ammonia & nitrite will be the lowest number you will be able reach through water changes. So, if your numbers start to creep above .5, then its time for a water change. Prime or Amquel Plus will be a big benefit now & in the future as well. Once your tank is fully cycled, your bb will eat through the levels in your tap in a few hours after doing a water change & prime /amquel plus will keep it detoxed until then. Just stay on top of your testing & water changes as necessary til then. :)

Okay thank you! You have been a big help! :) I have to do another water change today..... Because my ammonia levels are at 0.5 and my nitrite levels are at 1.0.... Thanks again I'll keep up on my daily testing and if needed water changes! :)

Back
Top Bottom