Amonia Level at 2.0 *** Looking for Bernie ***

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just checking in ...

Ammonia Level is now a steady 2 (maybe even less) and the nitrites are at .25 and rising. WooHoo!

I will check back in tomorrow morning.

Morning!

Nitrites are definitely rising. The purple is getting darker so we are moving towards .50 and ammonia is steady/going down. Level was at about a 1 or 2. I am not going to do a water change unless I see the levels go really wacky. I think I am just going to wait it out now and test twice a day.

OK Fishy...

You're progressing along pretty rapidly now.

Keep an eye on the nitrites!! Don't let them get too high.
Siphon off water as needed to keep levels moderate.
Don't change filter cartridges, go light on feeding.

Keep posting your results.

Bernie

Bernie,

Thank you so much for all of your help. I will keep a close watch on it all and keep you posted.

Good Morning ...

I am happy to report that my nitrites went sky high so I did a 30% water change. Will test again in a few hours and see how they are doing. Ammonia is going down looks like it is a 1 right now (maybe even less).

I am very excited about this and I am hoping that this is the beginning of the end of this verrrrrrrrry long cycle.

Question: What kind (brand) of tests do you use? Are they all the same in comparison? Looking at those colors just drive me bonkers to determine the correct level. It seems like I am always second guessing myself.

Fishy...keep up the good work, hopefully the nitrite portion of your cycle won't
last long (sometimes they do, but ....done properly and with your light load, you
should be done in a few days.)

Test kits..... we use AP (none nessler versions), sometimes Hagen...
always liquid, no strips!! Most are "eyeball" tests and are really only
a guide. The rather expensive "digitals" are seldom used by hobbyists.

Take care and keep chugging (or draining LOL!!).

Bernie

Hey Bernie and anyone else following my story ...

Nitrites are still up and ammonia is going down. Will take another reading in the a.m. but I have a question.

My father bought this fish tank and he purchased a Top Fin filter system. It has "cartridges" that you change out every 3-4 weeks. My question is about this. Isn't that where the "good" bacteria is living (in the filter cartridge)? Why would I want to throw out the filter cartridge and put in a brand new one? Won't this take me back to where I have just been? Yikes. Sorry so many questions.

Thanks ...

Well actually Fishy...... that is true! However, in an "established" aquarium there
are usually MANY surface areas that "house" the beneficial bacteria....(gravel,
rocks, plants, ornaments, heater and filter tubes, etc.....even some "free-floating"
in the water. So.... that is why it is important to not take any "drastic" steps
when cleaning or doing maintenance on your aquarium. As an example,
for HOB filters with two sections for cartridges, etc....... it is usually recommended
to change out only ONE at a time!

That said, the only reason to even change your cartridges anyway is:
1- if you want to use some "new" carbon (contained in the cartridge....
because over time the carbon does not properly remove any impurities anymore..
becomes saturated)..
2- the floss (polyester) material becomes "worn" or deteriorated and does not
properly filter out enough debris.

Otherwise you can virtually leave the same cartridges for much longer and
not have any problems. Many folks use sponge or other such filter media
because it lasts even longer and holds even more bacteria!

Hope that gives a little more "insight" there.

On your "nitrites".....keep up the water changing and watch that levels don't get
too high. "Hang in there", it shouldn't be much longer now.

Bernie

Good Morning.

This is my daily check-in. Nitrites are off the charts and ammonia is down to .5. I did a 40% water change early this morning. All the fish seem very happy except for one. He (a fluorescent tetra) has been hanging up by the heater since yesterday. Comes out to eat but not much more. I will check the levels again in the early evening and see what it up. I am hoping the nitrites will start dropping now that I see a significant drop in ammonia.

Bernie ... thanks again for helping me and "holding" my hand through this. I am finding that this is a great hobby.

Good Morning.

This is my daily check-in. Nitrites are off the charts and ammonia is down to .5. I did a 40% water change early this morning. All the fish seem very happy except for one. He (a fluorescent tetra) has been hanging up by the heater since yesterday. Comes out to eat but not much more. I will check the levels again in the early evening and see what it up. I am hoping the nitrites will start dropping now that I see a significant drop in ammonia.

Bernie ... thanks again for helping me and "holding" my hand through this. I am finding that this is a great hobby.

Tuesday A.M.

Ammonia is down to 0 and now nitrites are at a 2. WooHoo! I am really happy now.

Just checking in ...

My ammonia level is now ZERO but the nitrites are off the charts (and has been for about 3 days). I did a 40% water change yesterday and I just did a 10% change. I am going to check the level again before the evening is over.

I am hoping this is really near the end. The little fishies all seem to be happy. :D

Hey there.... I was beginning to wonder where your "check-in" was and how you
were doing.

To be honest, sometimes the nitrite portion of the cycle can "hang" on a bit;
then one day: "bang" its gone!! So, just hang in there. The fish activity
can tell you whether or not they are "handling" it; sounds like you're in good shape, though.

Bernie

I've been around, just feeling a bit under the weather! I will report back in tomorrow. :wink:

Daily Check-In ... :wink:

Ammonia still 0 and looks like my nitrites are dropping. WooHoo! Still registering high though but the color is getting less intense.

Nitrites are almost at zero. They were at about a 1 a little while ago. I am hoping it will be some time this week. I am really wanting to get some more fish. I have our little 2 gal running. I am thinking of getting a few more fish this week and QTing them in there until the nitrites have gone to 0 and I am sure that they are fine.

Fishy ....nice going!! How many fish do you have in the tank now and how big are
they??? You want to remember not to change your fish population level (bio-load)
by any significant amount over a short period of time.
Where many now go wrong....is they think because they accomplish a "cycle"
they can now go out and "load up"! So, be careful and still go slowly and select
your fish carefully!
I would wait another day or two anyway.

Congrats!!

Bernie

Oh I will be waiting a little while longer. I want to get a pleco (my daughter has been bugging me) and a couple of females to go with the red gourami that I have. That will be about it for the time being. So far we have 2 Angels (not full grown), 1 gourami, 3 painted tetras and a bumblebee gobi in a 30g tank. :D

Thanks for the advice! After going through what I have, that last thing I want to do is start this all over again. I keep telling myself GO SLOWLY!

Thanks again and I hope you have a great holiday.

Back
Top Bottom