Amonia Level at 2.0 *** Looking for Bernie ***

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a fairly new tank (3 weeks old) and my ammonia level has been staying steady at 2.0. I can't seem to get it to ZERO. I feed the fish once a day, have been doing 25% water changes weekly and decided to do 10% daily since last Wednesday. Any other advice? Is this a dangerous level? I would really like to do this naturally and not use any chemcials. My nitrite level is 0. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2.0 is a lethal level, but my guess is your test is skewed by the using of chloramine removing chemicals

when you do your next water change, do not use any water treating stuff, then re-test for ammonia, see if the level has gone down any.

how many fish do you currently have?

starting a tank using fish is a very hard thing to do, the best thing to do would be return the fish to the store, and let the tank continue to operate with just water and filter for another month... come new years your aquarium will be "cycled" and ready to accept fish without ammonia problems.

alternately, you can keep doing what you've been doing, water changes every few days for the next 6 weeks (ugh)

others may suggest a product called BioSpira, but as far as I know, it's not available in michigan.

I changed the water today (3 gals of the 30 gal tank) and I did not using anything in the water (was adding previous to today). I load up the water the day before and give it 24 hrs to hopefully have the chemicals dissipate themselves. I will keep doing this daily and see what happens. I will check the level again this evening.

PM "Bernie" or go to www.fishstoretn.com (one of the site sponsors) and email him. Get him to send you some Bio Spira. This will end the excruciating waiting process for you, and your fish will thank you... :D

Many ppl here have used Bio Spira, most with great results (including Allivymar).

I agree with Madasafish about getting the bio spira, but I would do it a little differently. I was in your shoes before, when I killed my biological filter somehow, and had an emergency situation. I drained the tank and temporarily moved my fish to another tank. I ordered my bio spira from Bernie (he will take care of you) because I can't buy it locally, and it took 2 days to get here. I had refilled my tank after draining it and was running the filters eventhough nothing was in it. I then added the appropriate amount of bio spira and immediately added my fish back into the tank. That was in June, and I have never had an ammonia or nitrite reading since. The point I'm trying to make here, is that bio spira isn't meant to be added to a tank with already high levels of ammonia. You may waste your money and lose all your fish if you just added the bio spira to your tank the way it is. It might take too long for the bio spira to catch up before your fish start to get sick. I'd recommend draining the tank and temporarily moving the fish if you can so you can refill it. That way, you'd be starting from scratch, and your fish would have a better chance. Just my opinion. The bio spira works, but it's meant to start a new tank, not fix problems on already started tanks. I mean this purely for the benefit of your fish and to keep you in the hobby. I don't want you to have a bad experience and give up the hobby, so please don't take this as a lecture. I'm just basing this on a bad experience I had in the past and how it turned out okay.

Hi there Fishy!!

Dropping in to comment on a couple things.

Gunnie is right in that if your levels get "too" high; then you run into the problem
of having to maintain significant water changes while trying to add Bio-Spira
(if that's the way you choose to go)........ you'd be pulling bacteria out before
it got a chance to "seed" properly.

It's best to use Bio-spira with "no" or "moderate to light" levels of ammonia/nitrites
so that the bacteria can quickly eliminate the problem without doing the
water changes right on top of adding the Bio-Spira.

Have you used any other water conditioners or cycle-accelerators in your
tank??? Have you tested your tap water for chloramines???
And what type of test kit are you using???

Finally, how many fish and what size tank are you working with???

Bernie

P.S. If I don't get right back here; I'm sure Gunnie, Madasafish or Allivymar will step in here to help you along!!

[center:0c8b03bc8d]*** UPDATE ***[/center:0c8b03bc8d]
I tested the ammonia level again this morning and it looks like it is leaning more towards 1.0. Those tests just drive me crazy. I was taking the bottle to all the sunny windows in the house. :lol: I am going to continue with the water changes. Which are really not a big deal.

Bernie, Thanks for all the advise. I have been using a kit I got at the LFS. Made by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals. All my other levels are okay. Except the test kit does not include Nitrates. Should I go and get that?

I was using a water conditioner but decided to stop that a couple of days ago? I just load up my gallon jugs of water and let them set for at least 24 hours hoping that the chlorine will just dissipate.

As far as the tank goes, I have a 30 gal hexagon tank and here's my fish:

1 red male gourami (female died)
1 bumblebee gobi (one died)
2 angels
3 pastel colored tetras
2 neons (originally 7 and 5 died)
1 florescent tetras (originally had 2 but I sent one on its merry way cuz it was covered with ick and I couldn't get rid of it.)

I got Ick right off the bat ... being such a newbie to this I filled the tank and got my fish. : Wish I would have sought out this site first. Been using Alli's heat method to get rid of the Ick. One fish was loaded with it (see above) and a few had some questionable spots on them but it is all gone now. I am continuing the heat treatment until about Thursday of this week.

The fish seem to be very happy right now. I don't see any signs of distress in them. They are eating regularly. The even seem to like the high temps.

If I don't see the ammonia level go down more by Thursday, I will try the Bio-Spira.

OK, Fishy!!

Many water conditioners will show a "false positive" for ammonia when using
a Nessler Reagent test kit..... as in the AP FW version of Ammonia Test.
The FW/SW version by AP is OK and doesn't use a Nessler reagent.

So, that was why I asked.... you "may" be getting a "false positive" reading
for your ammonia!

In the future, try to avoid using ANY test kits that use a Nessler Reagent
(it tells on the pkg, if you look for it, OK!!).

Remember to also test your tap water for chloramines (which will show
as ammonia also).

On that one, its always best to use chlorine removers that treat BOTH
chlorine, AND chloramines.. Again, it tells you on pkg.

See ya later.

Bernie

Bernie,

You are a life saver! I am at work right now but as soon as I get home I am going to check the package. I did check the tap water last night and I got a zero reading.

I will report back tonight. What would I do without you guys! :D

Okay ... I checked my test and couldn't find anything on the package so I headed to their site and finally found the info that I needed. I am not using a Nessler Reg test kit. I did another reading and it still looks like it is between a 1 and a 2 ... those darn greens just look so much alike :x I am going to do another water change right now and keep going from there. I am hoping to bring this level down by the weekend.

Here's a question though ... I have an ammonia detoxifier (and removes chlorine and chloramine from tap water) and I know that it converts the ammonia to a non-toxic level and I will still test positive ... so how will I know when the toxic ammonia is gone? Do I continue with the water changes after adding the detoxifier? Sorry I have so many questions ...

Fishy....

Since we've apparently eliminated the tap water and checked out
your test kit;

Next,
It would be helpful to know what water conditioner/ammonia de-toxifier
you used....

They all work a bit differently. If your ammonia is converted to a non-toxic
state (amino-methanesulfonate) like Amquel does, then you're OK.
And should just continue along with your cycle letting the levels even out.
Using only periodic partial water changes (20-25% weekly) should suffice.
But keep an eye on your nitrite levels to follow.....where you may or may not
have to again increase the frequency of your water changes.

Hope that helps.

Bernie

I used Proquatics Ammonia Detoxifier. Label says: detoxifies ammonia, removes chlorine and chloramine from tap water, eliminates ammonia stress and protects healthy gill function.

On the back it says it does not remove the ammonia just simply changes it to a non-toxic state.

Am I still heading in the right direction? Thanks again for all of your help.

Hmmm .... Not familiar with that one. But, I'd say you should proceed along
like I mentioned above.

Slow it down a bit until you see nitrite readings and then increase water changes
accordingly.

Bernie

Well I backed off on the water changes after adding the detoxifier and it looks like my level shot up to 4. I did a 30% water change today so now it looks like I am back at square one. Checked the level after the change and it was a 1. Going to do another 30% change tomorrow and then do a lot of praying. should Bio-Spira be my next step if this is not going to work? My fish do not seem to be suffering in the least but I would really like to add more fish but I am afraid to until my levels go to normal. The nitrite remains at 0.

My kit did not come with a nitrate test. Should I go and get one?

Thanks!

Fishy...... something is very "Fishy" ....no pun intended!!

You're level of ammonia shouldn't jump that much in such short a time period.
AND you should be showing "some" nitrite level by now!??

How many fish are currently in the tank??? How much are you feeding and how
often??? Thirdly, I'd keep an eye on this "detoxifier"...as I said I'm not
familiar with it; but it may not be doing exactly what we think it may!??

So, end result..... go back to doing your water changes like you were. You
may try holding off on the "detox" and see how that works for you.

I wouldn't be too concerned on the NitrAte, but it wouldn't hurt to get a test for
it, too!!

Let us know what continues here!!

Bernie

I used the detoxifier the one time. What should my nitrites be? Are they not supposed to be 0. I listed my fish on the first page of this post. I have a 30 gal tank. I am going to got back to the 20% water changes daily and see what happens.

For the past 6 days, I have only been feeding the fish at 630 a.m. each day. I was doing at 630 p.m. feeding also but thought that might be too much so I cut out the night feeding.

Will check water again tomorrow before doing the change and see what I get.

Thanks again.

Also, would Bio-Spira help me at this point?

Fishy,
At this point, bio spira might or might not help. Remember, it is meant to be used in a new tank filled with water not yet full of ammonia. Even if you got your ammonia level down to 1 and then added the bio spira, it may not be able to catch up to the rising ammonia level. It would be a gamble. You could start over with new water. I have done this. I have also used a product called ammonia/nitrite eliminator made by Acquamarine which brought my ammonia level of 2 down to 0 in about 2 days. It's hard to find though, and you will probably have to order it online. I have ordered it from www.drsfostersmith.com and also www.aquadirect.com. I keep this stuff as a staple in my house for emergencies, but only use it as a last resort. The less chemical stuff you use is usually for the better for your tank.

Agree with Gunnie....

At this point, since you are showing ammonia readings (of varying degree)
for some time now..... you should therefore have some follow on nitrite readings
indicating that your "cycle" is progressing through the proper stages.

With you're relatively light fish load, and being at the 4th week or so of your
setup; its possible you just haven't progressed that far in your "cycle"; but
I'm thinking that your "detox" is "playing games with your readings"...especially
jumping around like that.

Again, bottom like (like Gunnie said)....the less you use, the better; and let's
see where you really are in your cycle.

On the Bio-spira.....I'd prob say you could lick this thing without it; it's really
meant to use AT THE BEGINNING. Nevertheless, it would be an option, if all
else fails!!

Bernie

madasafish said:
PM "Bernie" or go to www.fishstoretn.com (one of the site sponsors) and email him. Get him to send you some Bio Spira. This will end the excruciating waiting process for you, and your fish will thank you... :D

Many ppl here have used Bio Spira, most with great results (including Allivymar).

I don't know, I ordered some Spira from them.

Its a great store, and very well priced [ Got my Omega One from them which I'll be reordering soon ] however, The Bio-Spira I got was hot, which means the bacteria was dead.

I added it to my tank anyways in a temporary loss of sanity [ See: So fricken worried that I can't think straight ] with no results.

The tank since fixed itself with 5gal daily water changes.

I'm not badmouthing the store by all means, I'm just saying that maybe an alternative means should be researched

Back
Top Bottom