Amonia problem HELP!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

izzycomosy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, Can anyone help me please,New tank 188 gallons tested and ammonia was really bad so I did a 50 percent water change tonight then retested it and it still dark green what should I do please is there anyone out there that is a night owl like me I dont want to lose me fish the tank has been going for 2 weeks and I have added all the bacteria any suggestions...need help now!!!!!!

If you have an ap test that means it was 8 or more. I dont think that is possible without dumping a jug of ammonia in the tank. What fish do you have, what dechor do you use and is there chloramine in your water?

I used stress coat for the chloramine and I have a lot of plants that are all healthy and I have about 30 fish with some caves and rocks but I have had them in my other tank

Before you do anything else retest the water. Did you move the filter from your old tank over to help with the cycle?

thing is my other tank has the old fashioned filter system with a sponge in a black container to the side of the tank and it could'nt be moved as it is stuck to the side of the tank but I did move the small filter in to the big tank but I think it would have been to small in the large tank to make much difference

You could have moved the media but that doesn't matter anymore unless the old ank is running with an ammonia source. I just dont beleive that ammonia reading any nitrites. How old is your test?

I was asking you while in chat what kinds of fish did you have and could you return most of them to your LFS. Even if they are from another tank.

The question that I wasn't able to ask before you left was about the type of test you were using.

change 50% of your water again. retest. if it is still above 2 then do it again.

What fish are in the tank?

2 pleco's /10 mollies/ 2 pink kissing fish /redtailed shark/ 6 clown loaches/ 5 black neons/ and 4 gold tetres/ and 10 neons and 3 of my mollies are ready to give birth any min and also 2 new baby mollies from another molly

just done it now , the test I mean,the fish seem fine they are all swimming around fine. I cant see how after changing 50 percent of the water 1 hour ago it could have that sort of reading?

No this is a new tank I had a small tank 29 gallon and then got a new 188 gallon tank, my pleco had a blister in the other tank but he is fine now and the blister went scratched himself on something in the tank I think?but he is well and has been for a while, my mollies are all well and breeding well, this tank has been going for only 2 weeks

I am confused as well. I think JC is right you need a new test kit. The ammonia would not stay the same after a 50% change unless the level was double the maximum amount on the test or the test was wrong.

Back
Top Bottom