Amzon Biotope Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i just recently bought an encyclopedia on fish and was wondering if splash tetras are okay. By reading the description and info they seem like interesting fish. Do you think these fish are okay for my bio-tope set-up?

I suspect my angelfish ate my two otos because they just disappeared over night. I agree with everyone else in adding the otos last if you still plan on having them.

Hmmm... you'd be surprised at how lively the tank might be. My South American setup included 2 angels, 2 german rams, a school of rummynose tetras, danios as dither (sp?) fish, cories, and plecos. Right now I have all but the cories because they were moved. Anyway, it is a really active tank and I looooove watching it.

the book is called "Tropical Freshwater Aquarium Fish from A to Z" by: Ulrich Schliewen. It is a preety good book, it has a alot of info and has alot of photos. It is a good reference book.

Would the book give you enough information on the fish to make a descion on wether or not it would get along or belong in your setup?

I'm a big biotope fan. Here's what I would do--I'd drop the angels and stick with the cockatoo and perhaps a breeding pair of rams. This way you can have a nice school of 10-12 cardinals. I agree with others on the eco-complete, I use it in my current setup, an Indian biotope, and it looks great. I also agree with others on waiting a bit to add the ottos and would also wait a while on the cardinals--both species do better in well established tanks. I have my old Amazon biotope setup in my gallery. I had a school of cories (which by the way will liven up your tank quite a bit), a school of cardinals, a school of hatchets, and a school of ottos.

rubysoho, i was reading a post in a previous issue of TFH where someone's angel tried to gobble up an otto. unfortunately, the pectoral fins of the otto got stuck in the mouth of the angel while swollowing. really a bad mess.
the bottomline is, big fish can and will eat little fish. :mrgreen:
and now i'm scared for my ottos.

oh wow! Thankfully mine didn't have any troubles getting the otos down. I'd rather lose one fish than two. Okay, actually I did lose two otos, but you get my point!

Ok, maybe splash tetras are not a good idea because they require over hanging foiliage and at least 4 in. of space so it may jump. What about pencilfish and hatchet fish. Those fish seem interesting to me. Tell me if there are any problem with keeping these fish in my bio-tope.

~:Updated Species Plan:~
6 Corydoras Catfish(Corydoras sp.)
6 Otocinculus Catfish(Otocinclus sp.)
2 Angelfish(Pterophyllum scalare)
1 pair of Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid(Apistogramma cacatuoides)
6 Marbled Hatchet Fish

try to keep the tank-lid tightly shut and provide a complete cover. these guys are known carpet-surfers...truly worthy of the comment - 'look mommy...flying fish!!'

i think they are quite mild-mannered. with the number of fish you have selected, they'll stay in a tight group and won't bother anyone else. but i have never kept them myself, so i wouldn't know for sure. i hope someone with practical experience would help you out here...

just add slowly and make sure you keep up with water changes. plants are also a good thing to help absorb nutrients but they aren't to be used as a replacement for cleaning.

Back
Top Bottom