Amzon Biotope Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

azn_fishy55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, I dumped the BW tank idea and started a new idea. I want to start a Amazon biotope aquarium. Here are some of my data I got.
Tank Info
48x12x21
55 Gallons
3.5 in. of Gravel
173 lbs. of Gravel (11 bags of Flourite)
48” Double Tube Strip Light
48” ZooMed FloraSun Bulb 32 watts x2
Maximum Wattage: 110 watts
Current Wattage: 64 watts
Lights on 12 Hours a Day

Equipment

Emperor 400 Power Filter
Visi-Therm 150 watt Heater x2
Coralife Digital Thermometer
Gravel Cleaner
Aqua Gloves
Ulti-Net 5”x4” w/12” handle
Large Convalescent Home & Specimen Container
Digital Grasslin Timer
Aquatic Tissue Scissors
CO2 Natural Plant System x2
Replacement Activator/Stabilizer x5

Fish
One Week after Aquarium set-up…
1. 2 pairs of Fancy Guppies
Two Weeks after Aquarium set-up…
2. 2 pairs of Fancy Guppies
Three Weeks after Aquarium set-up…
3. 3 Corydoras Catfish
Four Weeks after Aquarium set-up…
4. 2 Otocinculus Catfish
Five Weeks after Aquarium set-up…
5. 12 Cardinal Tetras
Six Weeks after Aquarium set-up…
6. 3 Corydoras Catfish
Seven Weeks after Aquarium set-up…
7. 1 pair of the Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid
Eight Weeks after the Aquarium set-up…
8. 4 small Angelfish

Do you think this set-up is okay? Please notify me if there is anything wrong with my set-up plan.Thanks!!!

I think it should be ok, except maybe for the guppies. I keep my guppies with otocinclus, and the male guppy has completely bitten off one oto's tail.
Also, you would be better of buying a larger group of otocinclus (3-5).
I would personally not get the guppies and get more corydoras as well (5-6).
4 small angelfish get big! So be prepared to return two when you get a pair, otherwise agression levels may get out of hand once they breed. It could work though, you never know.

Good luck setting it up!

I would delay getting the otocinclus until later and get five instead of just two. I would also go along with getting three more corydoras than you are planning.

I would also increase the output of your lighting to at least 110W from the 64W you are initially planning. This of course depends on the types of plants you will have.

One CO2 Natural Plant System is inadequate for a tank of the size you are contemplating. Two to three are more appropriate so you might want to look at a DIY CO2 system or a pressurized tank of CO2.

I would worry about the angels. in the wild, they eat neon tetras, and instinct may take over after the angels get a little bigger.

I would not put in guppies or cardinal tetras because they may be eaten by the angels.

I also agree you should use CO2 because at 2 wpg, you will have algae problems without it.

I woudn't use the flourite after the horror stories i've heard here. Eco-complete looks better (IMO) and isn't a huge dust problem like flourite

Here is my list of plants I intend to use:
Amazon Swordplant
Dwarf Swordplant
Fanwort
Green Cabomba
Water Milfoil
Also if they are any other plants that originate in the Amazon River plase tell me some because some of the plant on my list might not be locally availible her in San Jose...not many good fish stores here.^_^ thanks!

Here is my updated fish species plan:
6 Corydoras Catfish(Corydoras sp.)
6 Otocinculus Catfish(Otocinclus sp.)
2 Angelfish(Pterophyllum scalare)
1 pair of Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid(Apistogramma cacatuoides)
I don't think this will be a very lively 55 gallon tank. Can anyone suggest some more fish that are suitable in living with Angelfish, thanks.^_^

Like Jchillin, I also recommend the PlantGeek web site for helping you choose your plants. I've included a link that takes you directly to their plant guide. I think you will find it a great resource.

http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide.php

You can search for plants by genus, lighting, region, difficulty, placement, etc. Some of the plants you list definitely require high output lighting (~3 watts per gallon).

You can add some tetras to your tank as long as they aren't small enough that the angelfish think they are snack food. Neon tetras are definitely too small (from my own personal experience) and cardinal tetras may be as well. I recommend Columbian red and blue tetras (Hyphessobrycon columbianus) if you can find them. These can become quite large when fully grown (~2" total length) and are very striking in color although they don't school the way some tetras do. I have some of these in my tank with angelfish. You might also consider rummy nose tetras if you want a schooling fish.

Another fish you could consider is the South American puffer (Colomesus asellus). It is a small freshwater puffer from the Amazon basin that unlike most other puffers is a good community fish. I have had one in my tank with angelfish for almost a year and they get along fine.

As far as substrates go I've used both Flourite and, more recently, Onyx sand. I like both and recommend Onyx sand because it is darker (gray, not black). They both definitely need to be rinsed repeatedly before adding to your tank and your water will still be cloudy when you first set it up. Although I've never used Eco-Complete Planted Aquarium substrate I've read nothing but good things about it.

dr_girlfriend said:
a small set of rainbowfish might add some activity to your tank (3-5)

I think rainbow's are not from the amazon.. they are working on a bio-tope.. bio-tope is a aquarium that is trying to emulate a region of the wild..

...of which Black Skirt tetras are inhabitants of. The great thing about black skirts is their hardiness (I can personally attest to that) and that they are as peaceful as lambs. I had just about every variety of tetras and these guys are kings.

what about rummynose and/or glowlight tetras and probably some dwarf puffers. I also have a question, if I put 5 rummynose tetras and 5 glowlight tetras, will they school together. Because I think they are very atractive fish. And how many dwarf puffers/tetras should I add to the species plan?

I doubt they would school together, that would be a rare sight. Dwarf puffers only get 1", I would add 4.

Instead of getting both 5 rummynose and 5 glowlight tetras I would suggest getting 10 of the former and none of the latter. Rummynose tetras are really good looking in a school of that size.

oh and more info, i want it to be a slow growth tank and it will have 2 Hagen Natural CO2 system sorry the first time was a typo...thanks!^_^

If you get the Hagen CO2 Natural Plant System you can save money by not buying the Hagen stabilizer/activator packets and using pure baking soda and brewer's yeast instead. Just add 1/4 teaspoon of each to the canister with the sugar and water.

Back
Top Bottom