An observation today in my 55.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bs6749

Aquarium Advice Addict
Last night I did a count in my tank and all of my fish were there. Tonight I did a count and I noticed something, my school of glowlight tetras was actually in a tight formation. I did a quick count and noticed that one of the females was missing. I searched the tank but I could not find her body anywhere. I am nearly 100% certain that she is not alive as I looked everywhere and there is really no place that she could hide. Her body may be somewhere that I couldn't see easily but she is not alive. I just found it weird that the tetras must have picked up on her disappearance and started to school again and form a pecking order so to speak. They seem to be following one of the males around the tank now. There are no fish in the tank that would threaten them and nothing has been added, they are schooling because she is gone. Just thought I would share.

It is possible she died and the other fish ate her. Fish are opportunistic, even if they aren't aggressive, many fish will feast on a dead or dying fish as a matter of nature.

Other tankmates include: 1 female BN pleco (full grown), 2 ottos, 4 zebra danios, 8 GBR's, 7 glowlight tetras, and an increasing population of ramshorn snails.

I realize that the tetra may have been eaten but I saw her late last night when I did a count and I fed quite a bit then and even earlier this morning (was away for awhile and they weren't fed for two and a half days).

Nothing new was added to the tank as I believe I already said, my water params are great and I have had all these fish together for 6 months now. I just thought it was cool how they started to school more tightly that's all.

Back
Top Bottom