anachris under filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adammorrill

Aquarium Advice Freak
HI, i jst bought 2 bunches of anachris and i planted it under the filter so the "waterfall" is oushing the stems around and i was wondering if this would hurt the plant, like breaking the stem or something.

I have two anacharis strands. They will grow in any light or conditions for me. I think they will be fine for you under the filter as long as they get some kind of light. Let me know how they do! If you can, post some pics :)

thanks for the quick answer and thats good to hear they are hardy plants because i just have the light that came with my aquarium kit. Also im sorry i dont have anything to post pictures with...

adammorrill said:
HI, i jst bought 2 bunches of anachris and i planted it under the filter so the "waterfall" is oushing the stems around and i was wondering if this would hurt the plant, like breaking the stem or something.

Some of mine grow long enough to get to the current but they are fine they still grow other strands if anachris

do you think my anachris will stay alive, they dont even need to grow, with my lighting? I know its not that good because it came with an aquarium kit.

adammorrill said:
do you think my anachris will stay alive, they dont even need to grow, with my lighting? I know its not that good because it came with an aquarium kit.

They still should grow are the lights those 15 watt bulbs?

You could just easily change the bulb with a daylight bulb if it is a screw in with 6500-10000K color temperature, or a strip light with the same temp if it is a tube. That way your plants will benefit.

Oh no. Not at all. Just replace the lighting with the proper color temperature and you are all set. You might be able to get more plant variety. When you do get the light, also thought of the wattage per gallon aspect. If you can get 2watts per gallon, you can have low light plants. 3watts per gallon will bring you to moderate planting. Higher than that will give you all kinds of variety plants but the downside will be that you have to dose CO2 with it or your algae will be happy with the high light.

my hood is only a 2light fixture and when i looked at bulbs at petco they didnt have any that would add up to even a watt per gallon...

So if you have a 55G tank, have at lease a 30watt light in each hood with the color temp of 6500-10000k and you can have low light plants. 1-2watts per gallon can bring anacharis to life. You can have java ferns, java moss, anubias, crypts and hornworts. There are more.

each hood can only hold 1 bulb and the highest wattage i have seen in a bulb at petco was like 15 wats so i would only have 30 wats total

You can check directaquarium.com and thatpetplace.com. they normally carry lots of different wattage lights with the right kelvin (K) rating.

i think each hood is 18'' and i dont know what you meen about the light but it is cylinder shaped

Okay. You can check in the links i gave you. They carry a lot of bulbs that are beneficial for plants. When i said strip light or tube, i meant if it is the one long tube of light that has pins in each end or is it like a screw-in bulb which you twist when you put it in?

i think it is the one with pins because i just have to turn it a little and then it comes out i dont really have to screw it in like a lamp

Ok. The thatpetplace.com carries all kinds of strip lights with different wattage and i hope you can find the one that is right for your tank and plants.

Back
Top Bottom