Anchor Worms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spewns

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone here know if there is an effective treatment for anchor worms other than just pulling them off? i have one guppie fry that has one and i cant catch him and i cant pull them off like i could on goldfish. I have read about many meds i could buy at the LFS but they all say that they may not work. the only other option i read about was what i would do to the goldfish but like i said you cant exactly catch a fry and hold in your hand and pull worms off it with tweezers. sheesh.

Jungle Laborotories makes a few products that should control anchor worms: Anchors Away, Parasite Guard tank buddies and Parasite clear tank buddies

HTH

Thanks Kevin, I am aware of these products but have never tried them. the site I was looking at implied that the chemicals in these products are more effective on the free swimming juveniles than the attached worms. I am going to try one of these products anyways......desperation. Thanks again

Update

well I went and purchased Parasite Clear and have used it 3 times now. I had to remove the ghost shrimp. Man were they ever hard to catch! One was totally uncatchable but a few hours after the first treatment he was drugged and easier to catch. they are all in a fishbowl and doing fine....bored but fine. I threw in a deck of cards for them to keep busy with till they can go back in the tank.
I noticed more than one fry that had attached worms but now i don't see any. not sure if they died or if the Parasite clear is working. hard to count all those little guys.
I was told by e-mail that i would have to use the treatment at half strength because of the pl*co. she seemed fine after the first dose of half strength so on the next dose i increased it to 3/4 strength. still doing fine by the 3rd dose of 3/4 strength. going to call it quits on the treatment till i see any signs of remaining worms. Cross your fingers for me :?

Back
Top Bottom