Angel being wierd

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angelbreeder

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have an angel that swims upside down 95 percent of the time does anyone no why

Cool that sounds awesome! Can you post a picture or video of the cute little guy?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That does not sound awesome... Usually fish are close to death when they swim upside down.
What exactly do you mean by swimming upside down? With it's nose pointed upwards, or it's whole body actually upside down? A picture might help.
Also what size tank do you have, how long has the tank been running, and what other fish do you have, and what are your ammonia nitrite and nitrate levels? These things might help explain this behavior.

My angelfish used to swim on its side (body plane parallel to aquarium floor), and straight up and down with its mouth pointing toward the surface. Everyone was always very concerned, thinking that it was sick and dying, but she was just watching the surface of the water for food.

She stopped doing it after my mom started feeding the fish. She's perfectly healthy, never had any problems with her being sick. I think maybe I wasn't feeding her enough.

My angelfish used to swim on its side (body plane parallel to aquarium floor), and straight up and down with its mouth pointing toward the surface. Everyone was always very concerned, thinking that it was sick and dying, but she was just watching the surface of the water for food.

I agree this is normal, my angel does this as well when maneuvering between decorations or when searching for food. Which is why I think the OP needs to clarify what they meant by swimming "upside down".

I agree this is normal, my angel does this as well when maneuvering between decorations or when searching for food. Which is why I think the OP needs to clarify what they meant by swimming "upside down".

Mine also do this. They swim sideways along the surface during feeding to sneak past fish pile feeding.

By upside down I mean the exact reversal of the right way up, her tank is 100 gal and she shares it with 4 other angels and a juvenile snowball plec, I have 17 angels in all so have an idea of normal behaviour,

By upside down I mean the exact reversal of the right way up, her tank is 100 gal and she shares it with 4 other angels and a juvenile snowball plec, I have 17 angels in all so have an idea of normal behaviour,

How long has she been swimming this way? Is she still eating? I agree with the previous poster that swimming upside down in fish breeds that don't naturally do this is usually a sign of swim bladder injuries or some other type of disease...

She started about a year ago now and then, and it got more and more she still eats interacts with the others and does everything else normal just upside down

Hmmm, I would guess a swim bladder injury of some sort. Not necessarily life threatening (clearly she seems to be living with it fine), but there's not much that can be done for it. As long as she's interacting with everyone fine and eating then I'd say enjoy your oddity :)

Depends on the nature of the injury... Really bad ones, yes, they keep floating and usually die, but minor injuries could be just enough to flip her upside down but otherwise swim normal.

Back
Top Bottom