angel fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jasonm

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can anyone tell me why the top fin is like this?

ForumRunner_20121209_171459.jpg

Do you have your lights off or is your water usually that murky? Rivercats on this site is extremely knowledgable about angels so maybe he'll chime in but I would assume a water quality issue since I see another angel with fin issues as well. What size is your tank, parameters, tank mates and WC routine?

The water is murcky I am not sure why. I just did a water change a week ago 50%. We put a new piece of drift wood in there and it started getting that way I have a55 gal tank with a 100 gal canister filter on it. The fiNs were like that when I got them. They just look so pitaful in that tank I wanted to bring them home.there was two of them like that.

The water is murcky I am not sure why. I just did a water change a week ago 50%. We put a new piece of drift wood in there and it started getting that way I have a55 gal tank with a 100 gal canister filter on it. The fiNs were like that when I got them. They just look so pitaful in that tank I wanted to bring them home.there was two of them like that.

Tannins from driftwood makes water tea colored
I bet it's a genetic defect

For the golden angel I would start some Melafix, it's always helped my angels when they had something up with their fins or got into a tif. The whole bent fin thing I don't know about. Do you have a liquid test kit?

They were in a small tank with 20 other fish, I was hoping that when they got out of there that they would stand back up. Just could not leave them there.

No just the test strips, all the water levels are fine, we check twice or More a dsy.

My guess is a birth defect from vein in that small tank for too long. I've seen some like that at my lfs they will most likely not become normal again.

O well then they look alot more happy in my tank than they did in the the other tank.

He was probably born that way. I had an angel with a fin like that... He was perfectly healthy and I thought it gave him character... It's actually the reason I bought him! Perhaps a genetic mutation? Either way hes a nice looking fish!

Actually it is either a defect of an injury that occured when very young or being in a too small tank. I'm afraid it permenant. I have two large platinum marble veil angels that grew a slight bend when they got big. Since I know they are siblings and both got it when they reached a certain size I know it's in the genes. One had actually improved as it's continued to grow but not seeing any signs of change with the other one. That one has a bad deformity so will never win a prize for beauty but can still live out a full life with no problems from it. And the melafix is great for using on angelfish fins as mentioned above, it's all I use if I ever have an issue. Also doing a 50% WC weekly will help alot at keeping the water pristine and helping the fins to heal.

Back
Top Bottom