Angel Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baileystar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I while ago if went to the pet store and was looking around for some new fish. Before that I had:
1-Blue Platy (other died)
3-Zebra Danios
3-Mountain Minnows
4-Neon Tetra
1-Fancy Guppy
4-Cherry Shrimp
I found some nice looking angels there. I asked the person there and they said the miniature angels would be good for a community tank. So I bought them. I have noticed them getting larger and picking on my other fish quite frequently. Is there actually any such thing as "mini" angels or do they just sell then as that when they are young? I am worried that they are going to pick on my fish to much and I don't know what to do. Please help

Not all angels get really large, but it isn't a matter of them being "miniature" but rather a product of the conditions.

no such thing as a miniature angel. what you bought are baby angels. most angels in the breeding places are sold to the retailers when they're small, quick money/fast profit, as oppose to only sell them when they're semi-adult or adult. as the angels mature, they do become semi-aggressive. therefore some nipping are expected specially when those fins that have long/lace fins.

I'm not sure what I should do with them because I can't have them nipping my other fishes fins and chasing them around..

ugh. I hate when stores do that. I bought my first angelfish as a "white angelfish" which was actually just a zebra angelfish that they kept stressed so that the stripes weren't showing. There aren't any mini angelfish :/ You just have babies. Ideal basic conditions for angels are about 78 degrees, 30 gallon minimum. The smallest tank I have angels in is 3 angels in a 55 gallon and it looks just about right for adult angels. Any smaller and they looked kinda cramped, but that's my personal preference. 30 gallons is ok. Like dragonfisher said, you could choose to rehome some fish or you could set up another tank and use some stuff from your current tank to get it cycled. My biggest advice is to never trust what anyone at a pet store says :/
If I HAVE to go to the pet store and happen to need something or see something I don't know much about (very rare since I generally get things online) then I always have my phone or tablet with me to look it up and see what other people say about it. ESPECIALLY if it's a fish. There are some cool lookin fish out there! If you happen to see one and wonder if you should take it home, then definitely do a bit of research first :) I've gone to my lfs and seen some odd looking fish that I decided I just HAD to have! I asked the "expert" about it and then did a few quick google searches and discovered that the "expert" was either misinformed or flat out lying to me. "Puffers are great community fish," "arowanas will do just fine in a 20 gallon tank," "jaguar cichlids are as friendly as they are handsome," "No! Our plants don't have snails!"
-_-

I'm sorry, I shouldn't say *just* babies because they are super cute :) and I shouldn't say *just* a zebra angelfish because she's terrific and I love her :smitten: Angels are awesome fish!

I think I am going to have to give them away...I like them a lot but my tank or way to small according to what I have been told. Should I try to take them back to the pet store or find someone else to take them?

Back
Top Bottom