Angel fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

briemol12

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently bought 2 angel fish. I don't know their sex so don't ask lol. But I notice one of them kinda pushes the other one around. And that didn't happen before. Could it be that the one doing the pushing is taking territory!? Or what could it be??

Angels are Cichlids and they do jostle for dominance. It's normal as long as there's no damage.

What size tank ? Any plants ?

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are the one that had fish dying cuz your tank wasn't cycled last week !

Why did you add more fish ??

And a 20g isn't tall enough for Angelfish. Have you seen an adult ??
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+879+972&pcatid=972

Your tank should be stable for at least a week or two before you add fish. And you should research before you buy. The store will sell you anything.

Oooh, You just got called OUT by the person above me. They are right though, if you were having cycling issues, why did you buy more fish? With angels, I started with 1 juvie black one and since have tried to add others, but she isnt having any of it. I tried larger, smaller, 2 at once, moving decorations, but she goes after them each and every time. So I have come to the conclusion I have a rude angel who will stay the only angel. Love her though.

Oooh, You just got called OUT by the person above me. They are right though, if you were having cycling issues, why did you buy more fish? With angels, I started with 1 juvie black one and since have tried to add others, but she isnt having any of it. I tried larger, smaller, 2 at once, moving decorations, but she goes after them each and every time. So I have come to the conclusion I have a rude angel who will stay the only angel. Love her though.

I bought two in the beginning, VERY SMALL. One was a major deek. The other fine. Thank god the jerk crapped out cause the one I have now is the bomb. Takes food from your hand, cool as a cucumber. Just coasts around the tank sly as a dog. Nothing bother it, except maybe my molly who's begun getting pushy but never nips just a quick dart to shoo it.

Sadly one of his lower fins snapped and has not started growing yet but I kind of like it, makes it different and now I call it Tony Tim, tho its near quadrupled in size. Will have to trade it in eventually :(

I PMd the OP to apologize for bashing them. I still hold those opinions, BUT I don't want to drive ANY new people away either.

I can get grumpy when I think fish might die unnecessarily.

You are the one that had fish dying cuz your tank wasn't cycled last week !

Why did you add more fish ??

And a 20g isn't tall enough for Angelfish. Have you seen an adult ??
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+879+972&pcatid=972

Your tank should be stable for at least a week or two before you add fish. And you should research before you buy. The store will sell you anything.

**** ... Anyhow ... I know my tank is not big enough to have two ... But I just bought two because they are small angel fish and planning on upgrading in a couple months.
My water is fine now. No harm for no fish and I even have 3 baby guppies and haven't die so that means I am on the right track. Thanks tho ?

**** ... Anyhow ... I know my tank is not big enough to have two ... But I just bought two because they are small angel fish and planning on upgrading in a couple months.
My water is fine now. No harm for no fish and I even have 3 baby guppies and haven't die so that means I am on the right track. Thanks tho ?

Buying because they are small isn't justifiable IMO. Planning on upgrading doesn't always mean it will happen. At anytime I can change tanks because I have 11 in storage. From 5g to 265g and multiple sizes in between. Best of luck with your plans. The smaller the tank and the more often fish are added is a better recipe for disaster in both the short and long run.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

I agree with treemanone2003, used tanks & gear can often be found cheaply used. Strike when the iron is hot, pick up a bigger tank for pennies on the dollar, Craigslist is your friend. A used 55 shouldn't hit you for more than $25, maybe $30, new ones are $55 if you get to the buck a gallon sale. Buying stands is the biggest scam around, build your own or get an old sturdy piece of furniture, newer furniture is generally weak. Never spend big money on a used stand, used tanks filters & heaters will go for 50% of retail, used stands 25% or less. Get a decent deal & you can always get back what you paid should you get into another hobby. Like Tree, I've got plenty of spare gear around, though I max out at a few 150 gallon tubs.

Spare tanks are part of this, like a spare tire for your car, or an spare coffee pot when the one you have turns into a smoldering mess of melting plastic early on a Monday morning.

Back
Top Bottom