Angel fish and others hiding??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

becrac16

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've had my angelfish for maybe 3 weeks now, and he/she has been quite hardy, sticking with me through 2 bouts of ammonia spikes. But now the parameters are perfect, but she's gone into hiding! She used to swim around with the other (low-level) fish but now it seems she just sits in this hole in a buddha statue and doesn't really move. I don't know what to do! She doesn't eat as much as she did, I'm not positive she eats at all. What should I do?? I don't know what's wrong!

I also have a raphael catfish that hides in there that i NEVER see. Ever. As a side question, do these guys ever come out? When they get bigger or something? I'm thinking of taking him back.

There are many reasons that your angel could be hiding, maybe due to the water even though it is better now, disease as it is not eating, I also suspect it could be due to the fact that angels prefer to be kept in pairs. As for the Raphael, they do like to stay hidden although I have never own one I have had other types, cats are usually very shy and reclusive.

Angelfish dont prefer to be in pairs, but in groups of angels. They will also do just fine without another of its kind.

Has he been eating? Like TB said, he could possibly have some disease causing him/her to hide and stress. What are your other two 'low level' fish that are in the tank?

As for the rapheal, Most catfish are nocturnal and come out at night to scavenge and find food (Thats what there whiskers are for, they are feelers so that the catfish knowns where hes going.)

I don't think she's been eating. She may come out during feeding time, but I can't really see if she is getting anything. Definitely not as aggressively than in the past. The other fish she is with is a school of 6 rummynose tetras, 3 glass catfish, 1 bristlenose pleco, 2 corys, and 1 upside-down catfish.

I'm wondering if maybe if I get some fish that like to swim in the upper levels then she will too...

I really hope she pulls through. I know angelfish are succeptable to many things, especially when they are babies (mine is just a little larger than a quarter). I just like her so much :/

She didn't eat today, but she is out right now but not moving. Its like she's sleeping. But I don't think she is.

Does anyone know what she could be sick from, if she is sick?

I've had my angelfish for maybe 3 weeks now, and he/she has been quite hardy, sticking with me through 2 bouts of ammonia spikes. But now the parameters are perfect, but she's gone into hiding! She used to swim around with the other (low-level) fish but now it seems she just sits in this hole in a buddha statue and doesn't really move. I don't know what to do! She doesn't eat as much as she did, I'm not positive she eats at all. What should I do?? I don't know what's wrong!

I also have a raphael catfish that hides in there that i NEVER see. Ever. As a side question, do these guys ever come out? When they get bigger or something? I'm thinking of taking him back.

If the Angelfish isn't having some other issue, it is possible it has just established territory and is staying in it. Angels don't really move very much. Try rearranging your tank ornaments or plants.

Something weird just happened,I turned off the filter for about a half hour to watch tv and the angelfish came out and was acting fine! Weird huh??

What is the water flow like in your tank? Mine avoid the outflow of the hang on back filters on their tank also. When they are in it, they look like they're quite sick because they'll swim at an angle to compensate for the flow!

Back
Top Bottom