Angel Fish Behavior Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikeyost12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok so I took everyone’s advice on here and purchased two angel fish today (I was going to add 4 to my tank but was advised I would be overstocking the tank.) so I put the bag in the water for 25 minutes then I added a little bit of aquarium water and waited an additional 15 minutes. As soon as I let them go into the aquarium they both went side by side down to the back left corner of the tank behind the plants..... is this normal for them to do that? Are they just hiding until they get use to their companions in the tank? Should I be concerned?

They are hiding. If lights are on turn them off for the night to let them get used to their new surroundings

They are hiding. If lights are on turn them off for the night to let them get used to their new surroundings

My lights are on Moonlight setting, very dim right now, is that sufficient enough?

Give them time bud...poor little guys are scared that there could be something in there that could harm them, tomorrow morning will be a different storey.

I'm sure your Angels are just stressed, and will be fine by tomorrow morning. You did a textbook acclimation. Might try my acclimation method next time.
Your water is probably much more pristine than the water from your LFS. Make sure your water temp. Is equal to or just a little warmer than the bag water. Dump the bag water into a separate vessel and later discard. Place the fish in an aquarium net and sink it just below the water surface. Position the net where the water current flows through it. Anchor the net by closing tank lid on net handle, let it sit in place for 5 min. Lower the net to the bottom of the tank, open end against the glass as not to let the fish escape. Lean the net against the glass leaving just enough open space for the fish to swim out when ready. Other tankmates probably will go into hiding while the net is in the tank, making a less stressful acclimation. Your method took at least 40 min. Mine takes about 20 min. Been acclimating this way for more years than I care to mention. It's been very successful for me.

I'm sure your Angels are just stressed, and will be fine by tomorrow morning. You did a textbook acclimation. Might try my acclimation method next time.
Your water is probably much more pristine than the water from your LFS. Make sure your water temp. Is equal to or just a little warmer than the bag water. Dump the bag water into a separate vessel and later discard. Place the fish in an aquarium net and sink it just below the water surface. Position the net where the water current flows through it. Anchor the net by closing tank lid on net handle, let it sit in place for 5 min. Lower the net to the bottom of the tank, open end against the glass as not to let the fish escape. Lean the net against the glass leaving just enough open space for the fish to swim out when ready. Other tankmates probably will go into hiding while the net is in the tank, making a less stressful acclimation. Your method took at least 40 min. Mine takes about 20 min. Been acclimating this way for more years than I care to mention. It's been very successful for me.

I will have to try that, seems like a very sufficient and great way to acclimate fish to the aquarium. Just a update, I have the moonlight setting on the tank and the angel fish are now out of hiding and swimming around slowly..... baby steps lol

I really like this method of acclimation. Thank you for sharing that

Your welcome. I just acclimated a juvenile Red Texas Cichlid and two Green Texas Cichlids about thirty minutes ago. They are already eating, and chasing each other. IMO the traditional float the bag method actually stresses fish more. As for mixing the water; your tank water is going to be much purer than what's in the bag. My theory is get the fish out of the bag asap. Keeping the net in the tank for a while delays the almost certain bullying the new fish is going to experience. One important note: never dump the bag water into your tank.

Your welcome. I just acclimated a juvenile Red Texas Cichlid and two Green Texas Cichlids about thirty minutes ago. They are already eating, and chasing each other. IMO the traditional float the bag method actually stresses fish more. As for mixing the water; your tank water is going to be much purer than what's in the bag. My theory is get the fish out of the bag asap. Keeping the net in the tank for a while delays the almost certain bullying the new fish is going to experience. One important note: never dump the bag water into your tank.
I read your acclimation method. However I want to know if you aren't doing text book method how you are sure fish don't get new water shock? I mean slowly adding tank water to bag let them get use to new water but if we put them in net and put them in tank even slowly isn't it a shock? Well I think this method may work for cichlids but maybe not for delicate fish. Please share your experience.

Most hobbiest buy their fish locally, so it's likely that the water has similar parameters. In that case water temp. Equality is the main concern. As for water parameter shock, say from an online purchase, my position is the same. Your tank water is going to be far better than what is in the bag. It comes down to common sense to avoid extremes that would adversely affect fish. The ancestors of most FW aquarium fish originated from tropical jungle streams and lakes where they were exposed to torrential rains which instantly cooled and might even lowered PH. Extended periods of heat and drought, condensing and hardening water, raising the PH. The fish are a little tougher than we give them credit for. My acclimation method might seem a little rushed, but if done as noted it should take 15 - 20 min. I added 5 Buenos Aires Tetras into my grow out tank this morning. All are doing fine. I've never had difficulty acclimating any variety of fish. Hope this helps.

Most hobbiest buy their fish locally, so it's likely that the water has similar parameters. In that case water temp. Equality is the main concern. As for water parameter shock, say from an online purchase, my position is the same. Your tank water is going to be far better than what is in the bag. It comes down to common sense to avoid extremes that would adversely affect fish. The ancestors of most FW aquarium fish originated from tropical jungle streams and lakes where they were exposed to torrential rains which instantly cooled and might even lowered PH. Extended periods of heat and drought, condensing and hardening water, raising the PH. The fish are a little tougher than we give them credit for. My acclimation method might seem a little rushed, but if done as noted it should take 15 - 20 min. I added 5 Buenos Aires Tetras into my grow out tank this morning. All are doing fine. I've never had difficulty acclimating any variety of fish. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply. Just I think it may stress the fish. The most stressful thing for a fish is fish net and to carry fish in fish net for long may stress them. I mean I don't disagree with your method but there are some delicate fish which I believe won't like such water parameter shock. What I do is I put my fish out of the bag in a small bucket and slowly acclimate them to my tank water. For delicate fish I use drip accimilation method and what I noticed is after drip acclimation fish always very active and don't hide more initially.

Kash
I agree that the "drip" method is a very good way to acclimate fish, and a works especially well for SW fish.
Years ago, the owner of my all time favorite fish store, used the "drip" method when he got a shipment of fish ( big or small number) he would even dim all the store lights during acclimation.

Back
Top Bottom