Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-25-2014, 03:36 PM   #11
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

I fully agree with dalto's above post. You have not been given very good info by your lfs about what fish you actually have. You have plenty of different option though for some different fish that would be more suited to each other and to your tank.
An angel with neons is hit or miss. Sometimes when raised with them from a young age it is fine and the angel never sees them as prey. Other times, the angel will get big enough and then eat all the neons. Personally, I have seen them eat neons more times than not so I would avoid it.
I am not a fan of buying a fish you know you will not be able to house permanently (ie. clown loaches). They do grow slow, but by purchasing them, you are encouraging a store to get more in stock and then sell those to more people who may never re-home them. Also, fish do not always grow properly when they do not have enough space and you could damage them and stunt their growth permanently thus potentially shortening their life span quite a bit. Also, you are just pushing the responsibility onto somebody else to be able to home them later. Clown loaches get big, and not everybody can/should own them. Plain and simple. If you want a loach, why not look into one of the smaller, more suitable species that you wouldn't have to worry about re-homing later? Clowns loaches do grow quite slow, so you have some time. Same goes for the shark, except it grows more quickly than the loaches. You are also risking shortening the shark's lifespan by keeping it potentially too long and stunting its growth. One more species that not everybody can/should own. I would return the shark fairly soon if I was you and get fish you can actually house long term.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:49 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

The angel is more than five years old and lived with a Jack Dempsey and an Oscar until they died. His owner was going to flush him and take the tank to the dump. The owner of this particular LFS was very knowledgable but he died recently. His kids (in their early twenties) apparently don't know as much as they think they do.

Can the C. Ansorgii go in with the tetras? There's a golden gourami in there who gets along with everyone else. Since I have the clown loaches, can I keep them in with the yellow fish? I'm thinking it would be easier to rehome the angel and the shark and keep the yellow fish and, for now, the clown loaches. What fish go with the yellow ones? Obviously the LFS and the charts in my two books don't know. Here I spent months and months planning these tanks.

Thanks for your help!

Old 08-25-2014, 05:46 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

The C. ansorgii should be fine with the tetra's as long as they don't eat all the food. You would need to keep an eye on it to see how it does with the Gourami.

Clown loaches are commonly kept with mbuna. They are generally compatible as long as both are doing well in your water.

The best tank mates for mbuna are....more mbuna. Search for lesser aggressive mbuna. Most will be compatible with your yellow labs. Also, you could add more yellow labs. Keep in mind that you are going to need a bigger tank to house these groups and you clown loaches.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:40 PM   #14
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

I agree. Putting C. ansorgii with the tetras and gourami is worth a try. He may not get along with the golden gourami though, so be aware of that and watch for issues. Remove if necessary.
You will need a bigger tank for your yellow cichlid as well. I would look into the tank needs of the yellow cichlid and then decide if you feel that is something you are able to accommodate, preferably sooner rather than later. Also, still try to get some pics so we can make sure of what you have.
Sorry about the advice you were given. It is quite frustrating I am sure!

Tags
angel, angel fish, fin, fins, fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com