Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-21-2014, 09:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

angel fish fins -- help!

My veil tail and fins angel was happy in his 30 gallon tank with a red-tail black shark, two clown loaches, and small cichlid. I got two yellow paradise South African cichlids and all heck broke loose. The shark became aggressive and was chasing the new yellows, and the clowns and red are hiding. He never chased the Angel. However, a couple of days ago the shark stopped chasing the yellows except for a little bit a feeding time. The Angel and one of the yellows are best of friends, hanging out at the front of the tank together. Where the Angel goes, the yellow is right there with him. But behind the scenes (at night?) someone is eating the Angels tail and fins!!!! I have never seen any of the fish bother him. What are your opinions about the culprit. And should I feed them more often? Will the Angel's tail and fins grow back once I remove the culprit? Is there anything I should treat the tank with (like Prime or StressZyme) to keep the Angel healthy?

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, you have some pretty interesting fish there.

I am not sure what a "yellow paradise South African cichlids" is. Do you you have a picture of it?

Those clown loaches grow to be 12-16" long and need at least a 4 ft tank.

I would guess the shark or your new cichlids are messing with the angel fins. I would want to know what kind of cichlids those are fist though.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:51 PM   #3
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Well, you have a couple of issues here. First off, your angel is not likely having its fins eaten because a fish is hungry. You have quite a few territorial species in a rather small space, so IMO you are seeing some territorial nature come out. Your tank is too small for a red tailed shark, and might well be too small for those new cichlids and your unnamed "small cichlid" as well. Do not feed them more to fix the problem. If anything, that will make issues for your angel worse because the water will get dirty faster can the angel will have to fight harder to get it's fins back.
Now, either a fish is harassing your angel at night and biting its fins, or else the angel is unwell and fin rot or some such thing is destroying them. Angel fins do not tend to stay pretty when the angel is too stressed. I think somebody is nipping at them though. Since it is at night, your shark is a prime suspect. However, since you added new fish, they are suspects as well.
To help offer suggestions to fix the situation, could you please get us some pictures of the cichlids, and also of the angel's fins? In addition, do you know your water parameters like the ammonia level? Clean water will help the angel heal faster. I would not treat the tank yet until you have an idea of what is going on. Those sounds like some cool species and we would love to help you out to make a tank where every inhabitant is happy.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

"yellow paradise South African" This I believe is a collection area for some riverine cichlids. The op may be talking about jewels but not sure. IMO nothing from Africa should be in with angels.
http://www.yellowfishparadise.co.za/
Old 08-25-2014, 10:41 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I took the photos. How to I post them here?

The red cichlid is Ctenopoma Ansorgi.

The angel is in that tank because the tank came with the angel and ten gallons of really slimy water. I didn't move him to my other tank because I was repeatedly told not to put him in with my variety of tetras because they are notorious fin nibblers. I specifically asked at two reputable LFS about adding the shark and the cichlids. I was told the shark would become aggressive, and I knew I would have to rehome him. I know the clown loaches would out grow my tank but figured I'd rehome them and get new babies. They are so cute! I never realized how fast all my fish would grow!!!!

Will post photos of Angel and yellow paradise cichlids as soon as I know how.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:55 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

This is a setup that is just destined to fail.
Both the RTBS and Clown will outgrow the tank.

The Yellow Paradise Cichlid is not a fish, either you've given them this name yourself or were misinformed by your LFS.
What you've probably bought are Yellow Lab's, which are an African Rift Lake Cichlid.
They have a very aggressive temperament to any fish that can't stand up to them and WILL continue to bully the weaker fish until death.

Either get rid of the Africans or don't expect to see your Angel having a good time.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 08-25-2014, 10:57 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do the fish look anything like this:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408975067.120770.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	247949

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 08-25-2014, 02:00 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

To post the pictures there is a button at the bottom that says manage attachments.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:39 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes, that's the fish. My LFS had this label on the tank and it is what was rung up on the cash register.

Can I put my Angel in with neons, glow fish tetras, and red black-tail veil-tail tetras?

Thanks
Old 08-25-2014, 03:18 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

That yellow fish is Labidochromis caeruleus, more commonly known as the "Yellow Lab". L. caeruleus is an mbuna from Lake Malawi in Africa. It is one of the most peaceful of the Malawian cichlids but still too aggressive for most community tanks. I have seen them work in community settings but it is the exception more than the rule. I would recommend either bringing them back or setting up a tank more suited to these fishes. I would also recommend not listening to any further advice from a fish store that calls this fish the "yellow paradise South African cichlid". It is, after all, one of the most common rift lake cichlids. Any LFS that doesn't know what this is has some serious limitations.

Ctenopoma Ansorgii is not a cichlid at all but an anabantoid more closely related to the Gourami. I would worry about it being picked on as well so it might be worth keeping an eye on.

As for putting the Angelfish in with the Tetras, it will eat the neons as soon as it is big enough. I am not that familiar with the dispositions of the other fish but if they are nippy they will harass the Angel more than likely.

I am sorry I don't have better news but it sounds like you are the victim of some bad advice from your LFS.

Tags
angel, angel fish, fin, fins, fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com