Angel question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flitabout

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so I have been looking on the internet trying to figure out how fast Angels grow. As you can imagine I have heard and found everything from I had 2year old angels that were only 2 inches to mine got to 6 inches in 10 months, to Angels will never get to their full 8 inches in anything less than a 30in deep tank. They grow fast they grow slow feed more feed more often raise the temperature. It's all quite confusing Anybody know how fast they actually grow?

If they are not crowded....Dime size - 1 month, nickle size - 2 months, quarter size - three months. Half dollar to silver dollar size 5 - 6 months. They mature about 1 year.

If they are not crowded....Dime size - 1 month, nickle size - 2 months, quarter size - three months. Half dollar to silver dollar size 5 - 6 months. They mature about 1 year.

^^+1^^
I see dime/nickel size as body not counting fins [tall] ...
They can keep growing after a year ,but done properly you have beast pretty quick.
30 " is a number that means nothing for common angels .. Altums need a tall tank.
They should be in tank 4X their total size in height as a guess IMO.
6" inch tall fish in 24" tall tank. They could probably be fine in 3X times their height with proper water changes and total tank volume.
These are mine just under one month old ..
bfmsW3hl.jpg

In about 4 or 5 months my angels went from nickel size to about the size of the palm of my hand and are still growing noticeably. The male is growing much faster and getting more "beefy" while my female is growing taller with much longer fins. Lots of food and water changes have definitely improved their growth.

In about 4 or 5 months my angels went from nickel size to about the size of the palm of my hand and are still growing noticeably. The male is growing much faster and getting more "beefy" while my female is growing taller with much longer fins. Lots of food and water changes have definitely improved their growth.

My angels' growth is exactly similar to yours. They were about 6 cm when I bought them but they went to over 16 cm in just 6 months. The males are more muscular.

Ok so I have been looking on the internet trying to figure out how fast Angels grow. As you can imagine I have heard and found everything from I had 2year old angels that were only 2 inches to mine got to 6 inches in 10 months, to Angels will never get to their full 8 inches in anything less than a 30in deep tank. They grow fast they grow slow feed more feed more often raise the temperature. It's all quite confusing Anybody know how fast they actually grow?
A lot of the answers given are going to depend on the type of Angelfish you have. The guidelines posted are a good general rule however........
I have Angelfish now, unlike others :whistle: I won't release to the trade, that are over a year old yet are only between a quarter to a half dollar body size. These are also the siblings to "normal" sized fish so when you buy small fish, you are not guaranteed that they will grow up to be " normal" sized. It will partly depend on the source you got the fish from as well as their genetic makeup. Also, FYI, not all varieties grow as large as less genetically altered ( a.k.a. wild type) varieties. (y)

Mine hit about 6 in. at around 10 months and topped out. I have a male marble.

Imo, it's how and what you feed them. I think it also depends on what conditions they where born in. Some baby's will grow faster than others cause they eat more, and that's why alot of breeders will take the smaller ones out and feed them separate just to get them caught up with the rest.

Back
Top Bottom