Angel sexing question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luananeko

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay, I think my angels are finally big enough to sex. Anyone good at telling genders on them? My theory is that the silver pinoy is the male, while the two black/smokey ones are females... Did I guess right?

img_3079070_0_5647edce556d9e556ba3c3b0d6ce2f63.jpg

Also, they were all the same size when I got them, but the silver has only grown to half the size of the other two... Is that normal? Do males grow slower?

Here's some individual shots too if it helps...
img_3079070_1_30ae45913d5e0c6bca62845b465b8db1.jpg

img_3079070_2_cb6c80b47d464da6e64b3233b49ae79b.jpg

img_3079070_3_7f6c2d1d1626e4683645e25488e826c9.jpg

My best GUESS is that you are right on sexes. I question the second Dark one however. Still to small in my eyes to be certain.
As for sizes, Usually Males will grow larger then females and are usually the larger fry in a spawn. However, all the breeding that created these blue fish may have slowed down or dwarfed the fish's growth so you will just have to wait and see what happens.

Hope this helps (y)

My best GUESS is that you are right on sexes. I question the second Dark one however. Still to small in my eyes to be certain.
As for sizes, Usually Males will grow larger then females and are usually the larger fry in a spawn. However, all the breeding that created these blue fish may have slowed down or dwarfed the fish's growth so you will just have to wait and see what happens.

Hope this helps (y)

Hmmm interesting on the size bit. I guess that means my silver one is just the lowest on the totem pole and therefore isn't growing as fast? Either that or the genes that give it the silvery pinoy make him smaller than the smokey/black pinoys... I dunno, I'm just throwing guesses out at this point :)

How big do they need to be before sexing is easier? The double fin dark one is the biggest of the three at around around 3" tall not counting fins.

Hmmm interesting on the size bit. I guess that means my silver one is just the lowest on the totem pole and therefore isn't growing as fast? Either that or the genes that give it the silvery pinoy make him smaller than the smokey/black pinoys... I dunno, I'm just throwing guesses out at this point :)

How big do they need to be before sexing is easier? The double fin dark one is the biggest of the three at around around 3" tall not counting fins.

It's not as much size as it is age that better determines sex. These fish change a little physically as they grow. The fish needs to be at least 8-10 months old before it is sexually mature. That does not mean it WILL breed at that age but that it CAN breed at that age. ( some do and some don;t :facepalm:) Sexing fish any younger than that is at best a 50/50 guess.

As for size, there are always runts in spawns of fish. What happens if the lines are not crossed with wild blood enough is there will be more runts %wise down the line than if they were wild fish. One of the problems raising small fish is that you don;t know if they are the runts of the litter unless you get to pick them out at the breeder's place. Case in point, I have a spawn right now where I have fish that are almost quarter body size, nickle body size and smaller than dime body size. I could sell the small one when it grows to nickle size as a small and no one but me would know it's a runt. :whistle: A year from now, that fish will probably still be very undersized but should be showing a sexual identity. Personally, I wouldn't breed this fish because of it's dwarfed growth. But if you breed a line of fish continually, the next generations becomes smaller. That might be the case of your smaller fish. As I said, unless you know the breeder, who knows if that's the case?

Hope this helps (y)

That does help, thanks! I don't know the breeder sadly, but my LFS may know. I'm not planning on breeding mine since between my double fin and the smaller silver one I think there's enough bad genes in there that shouldn't be continued ;) I'm just enjoying them for the pretties and fun personalities that they are!

I'm not planning on breeding mine since between my double fin and the smaller silver one I think there's enough bad genes in there that shouldn't be continued ;)

Too bad more breeders didn't feel that way. There'd be a lot less crappy fish on the market now. ;) Hopefully you will have them for a long time to enjoy (y)

They look really great lu, very healthy and happy! Nice work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom