angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquabeast

Aquarium Advice FINatic
could i do 4 angels in a 55 gallon? i already have 3 silver dollars, a dojo loach, 3 angels, a pleco, a clown pleco, a gold gourami, an upside down catfish and a male betta in there also a shubunkin and a common goldfish that are on the way out... i just wanna add another angel, but not sure if pecking order will have him excluded. :band:

To reduce the possibility of hostility towards a new addition to the tank, the new fish should be added once the lights are off. I once tried to add two large angels in with two smaller ones and the smaller ones went right after them the second they hit the water. Luckily, I had another tank I could put them in or it could've gotten ugly.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

I would say you are way overstocked already. Silver Dollars can get pretty large, angelfish can get pretty large and the pleco's can get huge. Also, you have some fish in there that are not very compatible. Gold Gourami's can also can get a little big and be aggressive towards other tank mates. You may also have an issue with the betta and any other fish that has longer fins.

Viper said:
I would say you are way overstocked already. Silver Dollars can get pretty large, angelfish can get pretty large and the pleco's can get huge. Also, you have some fish in there that are not very compatible. Gold Gourami's can also can get a little big and be aggressive towards other tank mates. You may also have an issue with the betta and any other fish that has longer fins.

I have to agree. There definitely a red flag with the betta and gourami, they are in the same family and can turn on a dime. Plus the angels pretty fins could lead to damage. All bettas are different, but a calm nice one can get mean real quick, especially with that many aggressive fish.

the reason ive posted this is because ive been downsizing on the fish in the tank.. ive not gotten any bettas since this post, but have removed the shubunkin and the common, also the betta has been removed. but ive settled on a pink tailed shark and a dragon goby.. but theres gonna be some more fish removed from the tank..

Again, you are way overstocking your tank. A dragon goby can reach up to 24 inches in the wild. Not only that, it is better off being in a brackish tank. It also has poor eyesight and it will be hard for it to get enough food with the other large inhabitants that are in the tank with it.

I'm trying not to sound mean, but I would seriously re-evaluate your tank and definitely do something about the situation. Maybe get multiple tanks for the different care requirements for each species of fish, or take some of the fish back to the store.

Again, you are way overstocking your tank. A dragon goby can reach up to 24 inches in the wild. Not only that, it is better off being in a brackish tank. It also has poor eyesight and it will be hard for it to get enough food with the other large inhabitants that are in the tank with it.

I'm trying not to sound mean, but I would seriously re-evaluate your tank and definitely do something about the situation. Maybe get multiple tanks for the different care requirements for each species of fish, or take some of the fish back to the store.

+1

thats in the wild. in capitivty its only 12 inches.. i also have specific food for the dragon goby.

But you don't have a brackish tank. It is incompatible with your current stock for that reason alone.

You can heed the advice you are given here on the forums or not, but I feel that you are heading for trouble with the current stocking situation in your tank.

ive heard that but dragon goby's being in a brackish tank isnt a must.. i know they do better, but it isnt a must.. ive mentioned earlier in the posts that i am getting rid of alot of the fish already in the tank.. my silver dollars are already fully grown, the gold gouramis being removed as well as the upside down catfish i have..

If you don't want to listen to advice, why post? You're gonna kill fish and people are trying to HELP you. At least show them the common courtesy to stop arguing with the good advice you've received.

The trend I see is that you get inappropriate fish on the spur of the moment and then try to defend it to the end. Maybe research FIRST. Just sayin'.

Look, we don't mean to gang up, and definitely don't want to dissuade you from owning an aquarium. But we want the best for your fish, don't you? We really are trying to help you achieve a tank that is a stable and maintainable environment. At your current rate, I don't think you have either of those.

Reactions: HN1
VioletGobyFAQs

This was posted in your other thread and answers whether or not what you've heard is correct.

i understand where youre coming from, the tank is over stocked.. thats the problem im trying to correct.. i wasnt told the dragon goby was brackish, but have researched since buying it, and most said it wasnt a must. but i may have to take him back..

Back
Top Bottom