Angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zimmanski said:
IMO you just have to make time for it, stay up later or something to do it. Trust me I know it's work sometimes but if you like the hobby you should like maintaining your tank. I work nights and 12 hour shifts and the last thing I want to do is clean when I get home sometimes but I do it to keep my fish healthy and happy. I would still like to know what you're testing with and what the readings are. Do you have a test kit at all?

Amen brother. I'm outside on my back porch at 2am at least twice a.week dumping trashcans of water(siphon water into a 50 gal trashcan for pwc) off my back porch.and running a hose through my house to refill the aquariums. All after working 11-12 hr shifts. Sometimes I enjoy it, other times all I want is a shower, a meal, and bed. I love the night's, though, when all I have to do is look at my fish so much that its worth the "work" that goes into the hobby.

That said, we are all telling you, experiance, what.could be wrong with your angel. What are you testing with, everyone has.asked multiple times because it matters.

Master test kit my nitrates are at a 20 I just did a test ph is at a 7 what do you guys suggest

Your test results look good. It may just be your angelfishs behavior and nothing wrong with them. Do you ever test your ammo and trites? I know you shouldn't have to once a tank is cycled but something may have happened to your cycle

zhuber said:
Master test kit my nitrates are at a 20 I just did a test ph is at a 7 what do you guys suggest

Nitrates are very important and help you figure out when to do water changes, but fish can actually live in very high concentrations of nitrate (not healthy at all though). I don't know about you guys but if something is ever wrong with my tanks the first thing I do is a complete water test but I focus on ammonia nitrite and ph. So what are your ammonia and nitrite levels BEFORE a water change? If you test immediately after a water change its not completely accurate because there may be ammonia in your tap that hasn't been converted just yet, best to test 12-24 hours after a water change.

there is no such thing as too many water changes. I know a lot of fish stores give out the advice that too many water changes is harmful or that it will mess with your good bacteria but the reality is it's a myth.

Very little good bacteria are kept in your water to changing that out won't effect it at all. You want your ammo and nitrite to be 0 and nitrate below 20 is ideal. Weekly water changes are also important for other things like maintaining stable PH by introducing new buffers into your tank.

If all of your water levels are fine than I would look at their environment. How heavily planted is your tank? If you do not have enough decor/plants than it may be causing some stress to them.

I've kept angels since the 80's and I can honestly tell you that unless they are eating or getting ready to spawn they are not overly active fish. When you have a few together they can even have very quiet/still times during the day. If you have a single angel then I wouldn't be too alarmed if it just kind of hangs around, that is pretty normal and since you say it actively eats and swims some I'm pretty sure it's fine. Some of my angels (I currently have 13 in a 220g) like to hang higher in the tank and some more mid level. Unless the angel is literally at the very top of the water level looking like it is trying to get more oxygen or is in distress then I wouldn't worry. Especially if you have other fish in the tank that are all fine.

Rivercats said:
I've kept angels since the 80's and I can honestly tell you that unless they are eating or getting ready to spawn they are not overly active fish. When you have a few together they can even have very quiet/still times during the day. If you have a single angel then I wouldn't be too alarmed if it just kind of hangs around, that is pretty normal and since you say it actively eats and swims some I'm pretty sure it's fine. Some of my angels (I currently have 13 in a 220g) like to hang higher in the tank and some more mid level. Unless the angel is literally at the very top of the water level looking like it is trying to get more oxygen or is in distress then I wouldn't worry. Especially if you have other fish in the tank that are all fine.

+1 to that! Mine aren't overly active really, unless their trying to spawn.

Like I said, they can stare at something for hours lol
Sometimes it's funny to watch

Back
Top Bottom