Angelfish advice needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Madrox

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 4 small to medium sized angelfish in a 55gallon community tank. I also have a 50gallon tall tank with 2 huge paired off angelfish. I was wondering if I could put the 4 into the tank with the 2. I have read many opinions & was wondering what u guys think. Bad idea? I just want these 4 to grow to their full potential & I don't think they will in the community tank. Also they are starting havoc in my community tank lol

This is where I want to put the 4 little angels

image-3916583924.jpg

image-299479957.jpg

These are the 2 paired off

These are the little ones

image-2161986651.jpg

well if theres a pair then there could be a little fighting . other than that its fine

They will grow to their full size in the 55 no different than in the 50. What exactly are they doing in the 55 community tank? I honestly wouldn't put them n the 50 with the pair simply because the tank has little room since it's a tall and hardly any type of plant cover. If you feel you have to move them then I agree I'd try the pair in the 55 community tank and the 4 alone in the 50g.

put 4 in the 50 and the pair in the other tank

+1 to Bob.
Breeding pairs usually get terratorial and may kill off the smaller fish. I find it best to keep breeders by themselves. You want to grow out the fish in as large a tank as possible so the 55 suits that bill. Breeders don't need all that space as they tend to stay close to their spawning site if they are not chasing other fish away from it.

(FYI: You'll be better off using a sponge filter with the breeders than the HOB filter ;) We also have a thread about breeding Angels under the Breeding forum titled "Wigglers at Last!!!" Almost every situation involving breeding Angels has been discussed on it. It might help you to read it :))

Hope this helps. (y)

If I put the pair in my community tank they will wipe it out! Lol maybe i will put my school of black skirt tetras in with the pair & see how they react with them. I will have an escape plan ready if things go bad. The angels in my community tank are eating my neons & just being a pain lol

My ideal situation is to have the angels together but I guess I will need a much larger tank for that.

+1 to Bob.
Breeding pairs usually get terratorial and may kill off the smaller fish. I find it best to keep breeders by themselves. You want to grow out the fish in as large a tank as possible so the 55 suits that bill. Breeders don't need all that space as they tend to stay close to their spawning site if they are not chasing other fish away from it.

(FYI: You'll be better off using a sponge filter with the breeders than the HOB filter ;) We also have a thread about breeding Angels under the Breeding forum titled "Wigglers at Last!!!" Almost every situation involving breeding Angels has been discussed on it. It might help you to read it :))

Hope this helps. (y)

I don't think they breed. They have just lived together & have grown quite large

If I put the pair in my community tank they will wipe it out! Lol maybe i will put my school of black skirt tetras in with the pair & see how they react with them. I will have an escape plan ready if things go bad. The angels in my community tank are eating my neons & just being a pain lol

Sorry, misunderstood. The pic of the 50 tall doesn't look like there were any other fish in it.

You need to remember that Angels are Cichlids and as such, can be aggressive. Add that to the old addage: " Big fish eat little fish" and you have a perfect storm brewing having larger angels with smaller neons.
I think you may need to reconsider the Angels and rehome them if you don't want them to cause problems with your smaller fish or can't house them "trouble free" ;)

My ideal situation is to have the angels together but I guess I will need a much larger tank for that.

Yes it would but remember, it's not gallonage you need as much as you need space. The longer and wider the better so that the fish can get away from each other. There is a hierarchy in a school of Angels so if the ones lower on the totem pole can't get out of view, they can be badly beaten.

If you are anywhere in FL, I may be able to take your smaller fish off your hands :whistle: :D

Sorry, misunderstood. The pic of the 50 tall doesn't look like there were any other fish in it.

You need to remember that Angels are Cichlids and as such, can be aggressive. Add that to the old addage: " Big fish eat little fish" and you have a perfect storm brewing having larger angels with smaller neons.
I think you may need to reconsider the Angels and rehome them if you don't want them to cause problems with your smaller fish or can't house them "trouble free" ;)

I thought if I put the 4 babies in my community tank they would grow to be more gentle & tolerable lol can't resist a good meal of neons I guess. I think I'm going to get another tank just for them. I'm always looking for a reason to get another tank going lol

Yes it would but remember, it's not gallonage you need as much as you need space. The longer and wider the better so that the fish can get away from each other. There is a hierarchy in a school of Angels so if the ones lower on the totem pole can't get out of view, they can be badly beaten.

If you are anywhere in FL, I may be able to take your smaller fish off your hands :whistle: :D

I'm in Alberta Canada lol I don't want them to be the bigger ones dinner soo I will get a suitable tank just for them soo they can reach their full potential. ;)

I thought if I put the 4 babies in my community tank they would grow to be more gentle & tolerable lol can't resist a good meal of neons I guess. I think I'm going to get another tank just for them. I'm always looking for a reason to get another tank going lol

Goes to show you, not every fish reads the book about themselves ;) :D Sounds like a good time for that other tank. ( Fish keepers mantra: "I need more tanks") :lol:

Back
Top Bottom