Angelfish and Discus... can it be done?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sjmac

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

I'm new here (and new to fish keeping in general), but we got a 60 gallon freshwater tank about a month ago and I've been doing a lot of reading about which fish I should keep. At the moment, we kind of have a mix, but I have adopted some out to others and plan to do that as my space becomes limited (ie if all of my fish grow to full capacity and the tank becomes overloaded).

Anyway, we just got 2 beautiful Stendker discus from a breeder (between 4 and 5 inches each), and they did not get along with our larger angelfish (as we had been warned... angelfish was about 4 inches... and was trying to eat the discus). So the big angelfish has been adopted out.

My question is: I have 2 very small (about 1 inch) angelfish that are currently in a QT tank for ich... should I adopt them out as well when they recover, as they might go after the discus? Or try it and see if its okay until they get bigger?

Sorry for the long post... I've just read so many different things about whether or not discus and angels can or cannot be community fish... so I'm looking for some clarification.

PS-- I know that discus usually do best in groups of 5 or more, we plan to add more when finances allow this, and will probably remove some of the small guppies/platys as these were purchased primarily as starter fish).

Thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom