Angelfish and dwarf groumai

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cgthebeast

Aquarium Advice Addict
Will they work? I'm hopefully getting a 55 and I was just wandering if they would work togther

I would say no. DG are shy fish that need a lot of natural plants both planted and floating, with low water movement. They are fragile and often die for no obvious reason. Whether it is inbreeding or some other cause, they are just hard to keep alive under the best of conditions, though of course some of them do just fine.

But Angel fish can be quite aggressive, particularly if they are spawning, and might well bully or even kill a DG. And if the DG builds a bubble nest, he may become aggressive in defending it, and Angelfish have the advantage over him in size any day. I would not keep them together. I have given up trying to keep DG at all, having lost far too many despite providing everything they are known to need, including female company.

Up to you, of course, but I don't think these two fishes are a good idea together.

I guess it would depend on the personalities of the angel and the DG. It could work but more than likely no.

Ah, alright then, it was just a thought haha. My angel is still just a baby, but it's my pride and joy. The tank is going to be planted and such. An I always have been a fan of DG but I'll hold off on them then. Mabye a pair if GBRs then. I want some more color and it seems all I have are brown, silver, and black themed fish haha

Not to refute the advice of more experienced people- but in my 36 gal I once had 2 dwarf gouramis with my angel. They never really interacted with the angel but they did chase each other. And this is an angel that ate all her smaller tank mates.. So in my opinion it could definitely work in a 55gal- especially if you have plants to break up their line of sight and raise them together from when the angel is small. Remember gouramis especially love floating plants :)

Not to refute the advice of more experienced people- but in my 36 gal I once had 2 dwarf gouramis with my angel. They never really interacted with the angel but they did chase each other. And this is an angel that ate all her smaller tank mates.. So in my opinion it could definitely work in a 55gal- especially if you have plants to break up their line of sight and raise them together from when the angel is small. Remember gouramis especially love floating plants :)

There we go, someone who has experience of it working so if you wanted to try it, i would go for it.

I have 3 angels (all female) and 2 dwarf gourami in a 46... One of my angels is a beast who has killed and eaten otos. I periodically move decor around to help break up territories and that keeps any aggression down. I still have the occasional
Chase but they have lived together for about a year.

Over the past 30+ years I've kept Angels and DG together many times. I have a 220g 100% planted tank right now with 12 adult breeding angels and 2 DG and 1 Honey Gourami. Due to the heavy planting of the tank and plenty of room I haven't had issues BUT I can tell you the Red Flame DG will think nothing about going after any of the very large adult angels, even ones spawning so I most DG can hold their own. In a 55g tank if you plant it well chances of it working is much greater. But as already said everything will depend on the temperaments of both the angel and the DG.

Alright, thank you river cats. I plan to plant this heavily with amazon swords, java fern, jungle val, and whatever else I can support haha. I'm only going to be keeping one angel so no breeding problems there, plus raising it from a baby with smaller fish might help chill it out hopefully.
I'll judge the temperament carefully and then make my mind up.
I love the blue DGs, there my fave and I'll make sure to heavily plant this with more plants when I get it.

Alright, thank you river cats. I plan to plant this heavily with amazon swords, java fern, jungle val, and whatever else I can support haha. I'm only going to be keeping one angel so no breeding problems there, plus raising it from a baby with smaller fish might help chill it out hopefully.
I'll judge the temperament carefully and then make my mind up.
I love the blue DGs, there my fave and I'll make sure to heavily plant this with more plants when I get it.

Sounds like a plan but something else to think about is honey gourami's tend to have mellow temperaments (but not always) and if you can find a Golden Honey or Golden Sunset Gourami they are very striking and usually work well with all types of fish in a community tank.

Hmm, I'll keep my eyes peeled then for those also. Might end if getting a pair of rams if the angel does turn out aggressive . GBRs are very prettu

I have a sunset honey dwarf gourami and just bought dwarf gourami hoping they can live together in 29 gal if not one will be in my 20 gal

Back
Top Bottom