Angelfish and live plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquabeast

Aquarium Advice FINatic
do angels have tendancies to nibble on plants? if so, which kinds do they prefer? ive had them before, and some do, and some dont like plants. do they start eating them at a certain size or age? help would be appreciated. thanks!

I'm also very curious, since I have a planted tank and i'm considering adding an Angelfish.

Yeah, i got two dime sized ones. After my discus died, i replaced him with them. I had angels before that did nibble, but not badly. Trying to figure out what i can do before they realize that its food.lol and i support you adding an angel, if the tank is big enough of course:)

I had angels in a planted tank for a while and they never seemed to bother my plants. My rosy barbs are the only fish I have that have messed with my plants.

I had my large adult (4-5year old) koi angel in a heavily planted tank with lots of delicate stem plants and had no issues with her picking on anything. From swords, ferns, vals, stems, anubias, etc. she did fine with them all.

I have never had my angels eat any of my plants either. I have heard of a few times when people had an angel who liked to nibble, but actual damage seems rare.

It depends on a number of factors, including the fish, the plants, and the diet of the fish in questions. Yes, Angels can do some plant damage, but not all of them will.

casue my pair i had about 3 years ago loved plants, but the two i have now, dont bother them yet, but they havent been in the tank long enough to discover it.

Mine leave plants alone but LOVE to eat duckweed. :>
I just scoop it out from my ten gallon and give it to them and they go wild.

maybe if you feed them different things, they wont eat plants. maybe they eat the plants because they lack nutrient value??

Back
Top Bottom