Angelfish & Planted 55 gallon...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dee99gt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I lost my 55 gallon saltwater tank I had for almost 2 years during a week power outage, so I had a 30 gallon tank that I had 3 angel's that I've had for 2 years and decided to give them a bigger and better tank.

Please give me any advice or suggestions as I'm new to planted freshwater. I've had it setup for about 4 weeks now or so.

equipment...
Fluval 4 filteration
2 96watts 6700K bulbs

I add Flourish excel organic carbon and Flourish comprehensive supplements once or twice a week..

5 angel's.. assortment of plants

Attachments

• 3380_4495783318701_1755464965_n.jpg
    3380_4495783318701_1755464965_n.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 318
You might wanna get some bottom feeders such as polka dot loaches or yoyo loaches, Five of either speies would do great! also you may want to add some kind of dwarf pleco, i just bought a BNP he is so active and actually eats algae unlike the 2 stupid CAE i had! :)

I had a 6in pleco in the tank but took him out cause he was eating my plants..

I also just bought a Fluval 406 for it today.

I took my tin foil angel back to the petstore today, because he beat the other 5 angel's I have to death.

Now my question is.. will the angel's be fine with no airstone or water movement at the top?

dee99gt said:
I had a 6in pleco in the tank but took him out cause he was eating my plants..

I also just bought a Fluval 406 for it today.

I took my tin foil angel back to the petstore today, because he beat the other 5 angel's I have to death.

Now my question is.. will the angel's be fine with no airstone or water movement at the top?

IME BNP dont eat plants but obviously as you already know some species of plecos do.

You need water movement at the top to aerate the water.

I am not familiar with the fluval 406 but isnt there an output of some kind? Is it HOB or canister?

I am not saying you dont need water movement at the top, because you do for aeration, but angels actually apreciate a slower water current.

IME BNP dont eat plants but obviously as you already know some species of plecos do.

You need water movement at the top to aerate the water.

I am not familiar with the fluval 406 but isnt there an output of some kind? Is it HOB or canister?

I am not saying you dont need water movement at the top, because you do for aeration, but angels actually apreciate a slower water current.

Right now I have a Fluval 4 which is a HOB and it just isn't doing a good job. I bought a Fluval 406 canister instead.

Are loaches my only option for bottom dwellers?

How are these guys? http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+885+1072&pcatid=1072

For some reason i cannot see your last post when i open the thread. idk if it is a problem on your or my end. Could you possibly repost?

For some reason i cannot see your last post when i open the thread. idk if it is a problem on your or my end. Could you possibly repost?

It totally deleted my post...

My current fluval is a hob that does a bad job. So stepping up to a Fluval 406 canister.

Are loaches my only option or I guess a better question. Which is best and how many?

Should I just stick with my current 5 angels and add nothing else?

dee99gt said:
It totally deleted my post...

My current fluval is a hob that does a bad job. So stepping up to a Fluval 406 canister.

Are loaches my only option or I guess a better question. Which is best and how many?

Should I just stick with my current 5 angels and add nothing else?

No loaches are not your only option, there are many types of catfish/bottome feeders that would work. I only suggested them because i have 4 polka dot loaches and i love them, they are very active and fun to watch. I also have them with two angels and no problems so that is another reason i suggested them.

No i do think you should add other fish.

This is what i would do:
5 angels (the ones you currently have)
5 Polka dot loaches
2 GBR (1m1f)
1 BNP IME/research they dont eat plants

This is what i would do, but it is all up to you. Do some research and decide what you do and dont like.

In the plan i suggested, the angels would still be the centerpeices up top but then you would also have some nice colors and action on the bottom.

No loaches are not your only option, there are many types of catfish/bottome feeders that would work. I only suggested them because i have 4 polka dot loaches and i love them, they are very active and fun to watch. I also have them with two angels and no problems so that is another reason i suggested them.

No i do think you should add other fish.

This is what i would do:
5 angels (the ones you currently have)
5 Polka dot loaches
2 GBR (1m1f)
1 BNP IME/research they dont eat plants

This is what i would do, but it is all up to you. Do some research and decide what you do and dont like.

In the plan i suggested, the angels would still be the centerpeices up top but then you would also have some nice colors and action on the bottom.

What is GBR?

How long should I wait before I get the loaches? My angels and pretty stressed and beat up from the tin foil. Should I give them time to heal?

dee99gt said:
What is GBR?

How long should I wait before I get the loaches? My angels and pretty stressed and beat up from the tin foil. Should I give them time to heal?

GBR=German Blue Ram

I would give it a week or so to add the loaches. They wont harm the angels but they may become stressed by the new additions. They dont have to be completly healed when you add them but the week should give them time to mentally unstress. The GBR i would wait to add, if you decide you want to add them, until the angels are mostly healed, because depending on the size of the angels the GBR may pick on one or two given they are wounded, but a healthy angel dominates a GBR (i have witnessed it in my dads 75).

GBR=German Blue Ram

I would give it a week or so to add the loaches. They wont harm the angels but they may become stressed by the new additions. They dont have to be completly healed when you add them but the week should give them time to mentally unstress. The GBR i would wait to add, if you decide you want to add them, until the angels are mostly healed, because depending on the size of the angels the GBR may pick on one or two given they are wounded, but a healthy angel dominates a GBR (i have witnessed it in my dads 75).

Is there anymore online I can order the GBR when I get ready?

4 are med sized and 1 little bigger. They are pretty wounded, they eat but hide and don't move much.

dee99gt said:
Is there anymore online I can order the GBR when I get ready?

4 are med sized and 1 little bigger. They are pretty wounded, they eat but hide and don't move much.

Check your LFS first, many tend to carry them and i know petsmart does.

With this info i would still give it 7-10 days before adding the loaches and about 3 weeks before adding the GBR depending how quick the angels heal.

Check your LFS first, many tend to carry them and i know petsmart does.

With this info i would still give it 7-10 days before adding the loaches and about 3 weeks before adding the GBR depending how quick the angels heal.

I put stress coat into the tank today. Anything else I should do to help them out?

I have an angelfish tank, 220 gallon. First, let those angels heal and chill. Let them get to a comfort point where they quit hiding. Don't set a day, observe them, when they are healed and settled, then you can start adding tank mates. You have many options with angels. Rummy nose tetras, cardinal tetras (not neon tetras as they will be dinner), diamond and lemon tetras are good also. You have to watch larger tetras as they can be fin nippers. Small loaches, like the kuhli you linked to, would be fine. I have yo-yo loaches and love them. Cory cats work well. Rams are fine but only keep a pair and remember like the angels they are cichlids and will bicker but usually leave others alone unless they are spawning. Small rasbora's are good. Bristlenose pleco's will leave plants alone but can suck on amazon sword leaves sometimes, but IMO are worth it. There are threadfin rainbow fish which school at the top and the males are magnificant when displaying, plus they stay small. You have alot of great options to choose from. Here is a list of what I have just to give you an idea of the diversity of tank mates to choose from.

Fish:
10 Veil and Super Veil Angelfish (3 juvenille, 1 pair, 1 male with his 4 female harem)
21 Rummy nose tetras
12 Diamond tetras
5 German Blue Rams
4 Electric Blue Rams
2 Gold Rams
3 YoYo loaches
4 Corydoras sterbai
4 Corydoras panda
1 Corydoras agassizi
8 Threadfin Rainbow Fish
18 Otocinclus Catfish
3 Whiptail Cats (Farlowella gracilis)