Angelfish ~ can you determine the sex

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amyb_70

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The title pretty much says it. They have been showing spawning behavior, so I'm wondering do I have M/F or what? I try to guess but would like your opinion, I don't have enough experience to go beyond a wild guess.
2hcdjzp.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's nearly impossible to sex them unless you catch them spawning. The breeding tubes which appear at this time differ in male and female, but obviously, the one laying eggs is the female.
Females will lay eggs even without a mate, so it's possible to have F/F pairs as well as M/F pairs. If so, eggs will be infertile and not hatch.

It's nearly impossible to sex them unless you catch them spawning. The breeding tubes which appear at this time differ in male and female, but obviously, the one laying eggs is the female.
Females will lay eggs even without a mate, so it's possible to have F/F pairs as well as M/F pairs. If so, eggs will be infertile and not hatch.

Thank you, I'm starting to wonder if I have F/F, but I see some things that look different. You know people mention a bump on the head, top fin straight up for one and not the other, the body shape round vs angular. It's truly amazing and fascinating to watch them. I think that's part of why the curiosity is starting to really make me beat my brain. I don't even know how big the eggs are when released. Been looking for an answer to that for a few days now.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419571601.581777.jpg
Angels generally are only capable of being sexed by watching who lays the eggs lol. One day I will start reading all the posts made on a thread before I post.
This pic should help give you an idea on their sex but it can be hard.

View attachment 259291
Angels generally are only capable of being sexed by watching who lays the eggs lol. One day I will start reading all the posts made on a thread before I post.
This pic should help give you an idea on their sex but it can be hard.

Bichir Bro, thank you for the photo. Sorry this still leaves me very confused. I know it's a long shot hoping someone can tell me what I have. I thought it be neat to see what people thought in comparison to what I thought. :)

Eggs are not very large. Maybe about the size of a large dressmaker's pin head. Or about 1/16th " diameter.

I had a pair of very large silver angels long, long ago, who spawned regularly in my community tank. Not one of their eggs ever hatched, they usually got fungus on them and were than eaten, but it was fun to see them go through the process anyway. I knew less than nothing back then about how to potentially raise any fry and no other tank to put them in, so it's probably just as well.

But still, having a pair is pretty cool.

Eggs are not very large. Maybe about the size of a large dressmaker's pin head. Or about 1/16th " diameter.

I had a pair of very large silver angels long, long ago, who spawned regularly in my community tank. Not one of their eggs ever hatched, they usually got fungus on them and were than eaten, but it was fun to see them go through the process anyway. I knew less than nothing back then about how to potentially raise any fry and no other tank to put them in, so it's probably just as well.

Omg! So cool. So I have eggs. I don't know from what, I'm assuming not angels because it's on gravel and a bumblebee goby is sitting on them. Other option would be Oto. Thank you for letting me know size, all pictures look so big, common sense says it's not possible. Today is my regular WC day, do you think it's ok to do that? Just not vacuum near the eggs. All are white, so that means they are not fertilized correct?

Yes it's amazing to watch! My little girl and I have been watching in amazement for over a week now. We've learned a lot and spent very positive quality time together.

I am no expert on eggs. From other posts I have read, it appears eggs that are fertile change colour within a day or two, and if not, probably not fertile. Do changes, just don't go near the eggs, but they will most likely be stuck to whatever they are on.

If I'm wrong I hope somebody tells me, but of fish eggs I have read about, far as I know, most are at least a bit sticky, so once they touch something they tend to adhere to it. Some are very sticky indeed. Angel eggs have one sticky spot, so their parents can move them if they feel the need. The sticky spot becomes the fry's head, I think, if I recall correctly.

I am no expert on eggs. From other posts I have read, it appears eggs that are fertile change colour within a day or two, and if not, probably not fertile. Do changes, just don't go near the eggs, but they will most likely be stuck to whatever they are on.

If I'm wrong I hope somebody tells me, but of fish eggs I have read about, far as I know, most are at least a bit sticky, so once they touch something they tend to adhere to it. Some are very sticky indeed. Angel eggs have one sticky spot, so their parents can move them if they feel the need. The sticky spot becomes the fry's head, I think, if I recall correctly.

Oh thank you so much! That is all very helpful. I noticed them later last night so it sounds as though they can still change color. I don't have enough confidence I would succeed if they are fertilized, but I surely don't want to hurt whatever they may be. I never thought about them being sticky (or read) it makes total sense now how they stay put if the parent isn't moving them. I'm anxious to see what comes of this. Either way it's a wonderful thing to watch.

If anyone wants to take a shot at determining their sex, go for it. I would still be interested in your opinion.

Not all eggs are sticky but a lot of them are.

Fishobsessed7

My koi Angel with eggs

That's beautiful, congratulations. My angel tank is only a 29 so I'm very limited but i like it so much better than the other. There is so much beauty and personality in that one. :)

Well my angels just laid their 1st batch of eggs. They sure are quick, I just finished large WC. Looked up and within a minute they were there. One was feasting on them while the other poked and poked for him/her to stop. They left 1 egg on the slate, a couple fell and I think I see 1 on leaf right next to the slate. This is amazing to see.
2dklhd5.jpg

Okay folks, I know the sliver w/ black stripes is a female, I'm really hoping someone will take a shot at guessing this one. Part of the sexual tubing is out, although hard to see. I'm very curious if I have 2 females. Anyone???
IMG]http://i60.tinypic.com/140anx5.jpg[/IMG]

I would guess that the male is the marble and the female is black. I had three angels in my 29 gallon. Two paired off and spawned and the thord was banned to the other 1/4 of the tank. This tank was in the spare bedroom so we hadn't noticed right away. Next thing we had wigglers! This was the first time that we have ever had angelsfish eggs that hatched! We pulled all the extra fish out and moved them to a 10 gallon and successfully raised and rehomed 14 juvenille angelfish. Any further egg batches have not been sucessful. The eggs turn white after 2 days abd then they eat them.
My male is the marble.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1419866057095.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419866057095.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 62
Sorry for the sideways picture. I replied from my phone and just took the pic. Still trying to figure out how the tapatalk works.

I would guess that the male is the marble and the female is black. I had three angels in my 29 gallon. Two paired off and spawned and the thord was banned to the other 1/4 of the tank. This tank was in the spare bedroom so we hadn't noticed right away. Next thing we had wigglers! This was the first time that we have ever had angelsfish eggs that hatched! We pulled all the extra fish out and moved them to a 10 gallon and successfully raised and rehomed 14 juvenille angelfish. Any further egg batches have not been sucessful. The eggs turn white after 2 days abd then they eat them.
My male is the marble.

Ok I have no idea what tap talk is. LOL
As for the angels a few days ago I would have gone with the striped being male, then I saw like 1/2 dozen eggs just drop from her. It sure looked like the eggs I saw a couple hours earlier. So I guess that would mean I'm more likely looking at 2 females spawning? The black ones sexual tubing is a bit shorter and not as wide around as the striped one.
* I love your marble angel! I had one very similar at times it looked more like a very dark blue opposed to black. I was really bummed when I lost that one. The marbles ones are hard to find here.
* Crazy4fids, thank you very much for commenting. I find the angels to be truly beautiful and enjoy watching them. I don't know why no one else wants to jump in and give a guess. ?

Are there any other angels in your tank? If they both are females, you might have to seperate them in order to get a breeding pair.

Back
Top Bottom