Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-25-2014, 02:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Angelfish ~ can you determine the sex

The title pretty much says it. They have been showing spawning behavior, so I'm wondering do I have M/F or what? I try to guess but would like your opinion, I don't have enough experience to go beyond a wild guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Amy
amyb_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 03:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's nearly impossible to sex them unless you catch them spawning. The breeding tubes which appear at this time differ in male and female, but obviously, the one laying eggs is the female.
Females will lay eggs even without a mate, so it's possible to have F/F pairs as well as M/F pairs. If so, eggs will be infertile and not hatch.

Old 12-26-2014, 01:24 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfur View Post
It's nearly impossible to sex them unless you catch them spawning. The breeding tubes which appear at this time differ in male and female, but obviously, the one laying eggs is the female.
Females will lay eggs even without a mate, so it's possible to have F/F pairs as well as M/F pairs. If so, eggs will be infertile and not hatch.

Thank you, I'm starting to wonder if I have F/F, but I see some things that look different. You know people mention a bump on the head, top fin straight up for one and not the other, the body shape round vs angular. It's truly amazing and fascinating to watch them. I think that's part of why the curiosity is starting to really make me beat my brain. I don't even know how big the eggs are when released. Been looking for an answer to that for a few days now.

Amy
Old 12-26-2014, 01:29 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Angelfish ~ can you determine the sex

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419571601.581777.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	259291
Angels generally are only capable of being sexed by watching who lays the eggs lol. One day I will start reading all the posts made on a thread before I post.
This pic should help give you an idea on their sex but it can be hard.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:48 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bichir Bro View Post
Attachment 259291
Angels generally are only capable of being sexed by watching who lays the eggs lol. One day I will start reading all the posts made on a thread before I post.
This pic should help give you an idea on their sex but it can be hard.

Bichir Bro, thank you for the photo. Sorry this still leaves me very confused. I know it's a long shot hoping someone can tell me what I have. I thought it be neat to see what people thought in comparison to what I thought.

Amy
Old 12-26-2014, 02:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Eggs are not very large. Maybe about the size of a large dressmaker's pin head. Or about 1/16th " diameter.

I had a pair of very large silver angels long, long ago, who spawned regularly in my community tank. Not one of their eggs ever hatched, they usually got fungus on them and were than eaten, but it was fun to see them go through the process anyway. I knew less than nothing back then about how to potentially raise any fry and no other tank to put them in, so it's probably just as well.

But still, having a pair is pretty cool.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Eggs are not very large. Maybe about the size of a large dressmaker's pin head. Or about 1/16th " diameter.

I had a pair of very large silver angels long, long ago, who spawned regularly in my community tank. Not one of their eggs ever hatched, they usually got fungus on them and were than eaten, but it was fun to see them go through the process anyway. I knew less than nothing back then about how to potentially raise any fry and no other tank to put them in, so it's probably just as well.

Omg! So cool. So I have eggs. I don't know from what, I'm assuming not angels because it's on gravel and a bumblebee goby is sitting on them. Other option would be Oto. Thank you for letting me know size, all pictures look so big, common sense says it's not possible. Today is my regular WC day, do you think it's ok to do that? Just not vacuum near the eggs. All are white, so that means they are not fertilized correct?

Amy
Old 12-26-2014, 02:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:

Yes it's amazing to watch! My little girl and I have been watching in amazement for over a week now. We've learned a lot and spent very positive quality time together.

Amy
Old 12-26-2014, 02:58 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am no expert on eggs. From other posts I have read, it appears eggs that are fertile change colour within a day or two, and if not, probably not fertile. Do changes, just don't go near the eggs, but they will most likely be stuck to whatever they are on.

If I'm wrong I hope somebody tells me, but of fish eggs I have read about, far as I know, most are at least a bit sticky, so once they touch something they tend to adhere to it. Some are very sticky indeed. Angel eggs have one sticky spot, so their parents can move them if they feel the need. The sticky spot becomes the fry's head, I think, if I recall correctly.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:25 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I am no expert on eggs. From other posts I have read, it appears eggs that are fertile change colour within a day or two, and if not, probably not fertile. Do changes, just don't go near the eggs, but they will most likely be stuck to whatever they are on.

If I'm wrong I hope somebody tells me, but of fish eggs I have read about, far as I know, most are at least a bit sticky, so once they touch something they tend to adhere to it. Some are very sticky indeed. Angel eggs have one sticky spot, so their parents can move them if they feel the need. The sticky spot becomes the fry's head, I think, if I recall correctly.

Oh thank you so much! That is all very helpful. I noticed them later last night so it sounds as though they can still change color. I don't have enough confidence I would succeed if they are fertilized, but I surely don't want to hurt whatever they may be. I never thought about them being sticky (or read) it makes total sense now how they stay put if the parent isn't moving them. I'm anxious to see what comes of this. Either way it's a wonderful thing to watch.

If anyone wants to take a shot at determining their sex, go for it. I would still be interested in your opinion.

Amy

Tags
angel, angelfish, fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com