Angelfish don't like each other - need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dandries

Aquarium Advice Activist
I adopted a 1 - eyed platinum angelfish and got another platinum to be his buddy. They were alone in a 29 gallon. On Monday he had health issues and I had to remove him from the tank. I felt bad for his friend all alone so I decided to get him another angelfish as a friend.

Long story short, I was able to put the 1 - eyed angelfish back in the tank along with the new one.

It has been several days and the platinum angelfish don't seem to like the new one. They don't appear to be aggressive, but they don't hangout like they should. I feel bad for the new guy.

Am I making too much of this? Will they ever be friends?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Give them time. They should hang together after a while.

Angels are cichlids and can be temperamental. If male and female, they may pair. Same sex may not get along in a small-medium tank. Give it time and watch for fin damage; may have to rehome.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Anything else in the tank? Generally angels need to be added from the same stock or at least added to the tank at the same time. You may try rearranging your tank, and/or cutting the light for a few days to reduce stress/hostility.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Reducing lights helps reduce aggression but your angels may pair off and then they will bully the other one. However, I had 3 in a 30 gal tank and one was bullied but managed to hide and survive fine. Get lots of tall plants for coverage.

There is nothing else in the tank. I do have lots of plants. I hate the idea of 1 being bullied all the time. Would 4 be better? I can still get one from the same lot.

Or should I take the new one back?

Do not get another one. You'll have a disaster if they pair off. Unless you have an exceptionally large tank. I think you'll be fine. Mixing up the tank does help, but it only helped for the short term for me. But I had a highly aggressive angel in my tank.

Well they seem to have started to associate with each other. See pic (which pasted upside down for some odd reason).

So far so good!

Attachments

• 1405792162276.jpg
    1405792162276.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 64
If they start to get aggressive again I would take it back

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Well sadly my little white one died on Sunday. It was very odd. No signs of illness and I had tested the water and done full maintenance on Saturday. On fact, he was still sitting amongst the plants as if he died in his sleep.

He was really friendly and already eating out of my hand, too.

Some days I wonder why I do this

Back
Top Bottom