Angelfish Gender Identification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FallenAngel

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have two angelfish. I bought them hoping they would both either be male, or female to limit fighting between them. I bought them both when they where quarter size also so they would grow up together. There have been more disputes between them lately and I'm starting to think I have a male and female. I believe the silver one to be male because his head seems to be slightly bumped and he looks to possibly be having spurs form on this long fins, while I think the black and white is female because of the smooth head and curved long fins. I was wondering what the fish community thinks.

Ps. The silver does have a disease I know about and am working on so focus on gender :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1435675901952.jpg
    1435675901952.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 1435675926912.jpg
    1435675926912.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 1435675951046.jpg
    1435675951046.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 61
Here's a better side picture of the black and white

Attachments

• 1435676562084.jpg
    1435676562084.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 63
The things I use for identification make me believe you have 2 females not a pair but I have doubts about the Silver. The fighting could be because the Silver is getting ready to lay eggs. That said, there is a way to confirm this. In the morning, before you feed, look down at the fish from directly above and you should see a rounder abdominal area if it's a female and a smoother or flat appearance if it's a male. This must be done before feeding and before the first meal of the day so food is not what's causing the bumps. The roundness should be caused by the eggs.

Hope this helps (y)

I checked, the black and white does seem to have a rounder abdominal area and the silver is straight and flat

I feed at night, rather than in the morning

I checked, the black and white does seem to have a rounder abdominal area and the silver is straight and flat

Well then, it sounds like you have a male & female. If you are not interested in breeding them or have other fish in the tank as well, I would consider changing the female for another male ( about the same size or larger than the one you have now) so that you don't have any spawning issues in the tank. 2 females can spawn together so you will still have all the drama without the reward. 2 males will picker in the beginning for dominance then settle down and live a much more peaceful life ( as long as you don't bring another female into the picture :brows:).

Hope this helps (y)

Back
Top Bottom