Angelfish in a 30 gallon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Its pretty much impossible when they're small
Yep. It can be pretty impossible when they are large too unless you see them laying eggs. Sometimes mature males get a bit of a hump on their head, but that is not an entirely reliable way of sexing them.
When I got my 3 angels as babies, I named them Delilah, Legion, and Damien. Incidently, Delilah turned out to the be a girl and Legion is a boy. I felt pretty lucky. Still no idea about Damien's true gender though even though "he" is mature.

You can use their behavior to try and help tell when they're adults. But yeah the bump thing is hit and miss. As is the saying that a males eyes can be more red

I wouldnt do three. The females will fight over the male. That's why I now have four. Two pair. Ladies in any species just can't share a man. Lmao.

Ya so should i just get two babys and hope for the best? Also, are their colors very bland in the beginning? Like not much but then when they mature you know the species?

I have 3 golden Angels (about the size of a quarter) in a 55g tank with Gouramis, Rainbows, Rosy Barbs, Corys, Pleco, Pictus cat, Bala shark and an Upside cat. I want a 4th Angel. It sounds like I will need to move 2 of the angels to the new tank. If you have all one sex is it a problem?

I have 3 golden Angels (about the size of a quarter) in a 55g tank with Gouramis, Rainbows, Rosy Barbs, Corys, Pleco, Pictus cat, Bala shark and an Upside cat. I want a 4th Angel. It sounds like I will need to move 2 of the angels to the new tank. If you have all one sex is it a problem?

You can't fit another angel in there with all of your stock. The Pleco and Bala will out grow your tank and IMO you shouldn't even have 4 in a 55.

Today I'm calling lfs to see if they will take the pleco and bala because I know they will get to big. I'm getting either a 55g or 75g tank and will move 2 of the angels into the new tank and leave 2 in my current 55g.

Yes angel fish pairs hang together alot. They should be pretty submissive to all fish until they spawn. Then they protect their eggs. Mine don't chase any fish, just lunge and show their fins to scare away other fish. It's actually really cool to watch them fan their eggs.

Mine just chase without making any contact. That doesn't mean they cant bc they can do damage if they want to

I've had pairs that actually hurt others. Specifically, the male. A large male can do serious damage to other fish in the tank, and even if not, if the tank is small then he can pin them in a corner and have them majorly stressed out if not checked.

I just moved a small veiltail out of one of my tanks because most of his dorsal finnage is gone thanks to two breeding pairs.

get a breeding pair and you could keep them in a 30... but they do get agressive so the breeding pair would have to be alone... if not breeding pair you might be able to have a few kribs with 2 or 3 angels, and dwarf gouramis in it but i would add fish slow just to make sure you dont have agression issues

Yeah one of my angels nipped the others fins pretty badly when I first got them :(
I think they were just establishing dominance bc they're fine now

Back
Top Bottom