Angelfish in a 30 gallon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tarpon

Aquarium Advice Addict
Could I succesfully keep 3 angels in a 30 if the only other fish I have are bottom dwellers?
I have two females right now and want a male so they can breed. Would there be too much aggression toward the third angel when they lay eggs?

IMO, nope. I have 3 in a 40 gallon, but that is bigger and it a rare occurrence for 3 angels to ever get along. Usually, 2 will end up bullying one poor loner. I would definitely not recommend it in a 30 gallon tank. Sorry. Just out of curiosity, how do you know they are female? I haven't been able to sex mine unless they bred. Males are sometime supposed to have a "hump" on their head, but this is not always present.

Others may have different opinions, but I wouldn't try it. Angels can be very aggressive when breeding and a 30 gal is just not big enough to give them room to spread out.

IMO, nope. I have 3 in a 40 gallon, but that is bigger and it a rare occurrence for 3 angels to ever get along. Usually, 2 will end up bullying one poor loner. I would definitely not recommend it in a 30 gallon tank. Sorry. Just out of curiosity, how do you know they are female? I haven't been able to sex mine unless they bred. Males are sometime supposed to have a "hump" on their head, but this is not always present.

I know someone who had a 40 gal with two sets of paired Angels (with no other tankmates) and the one pair actually ended up killing the other pair. After hearing her story, I don't think I could ever reccommend keeping more than 2 angelfish together in anything less than a 50 gal tank.

I know someone who had a 40 gal with two sets of paired Angels (with no other tankmates) and the one pair actually ended up killing the other pair. After hearing her story, I don't think I could ever reccommend keeping more than 2 angelfish together in anything less than a 50 gal tank.
Like I said, mine are unique. I was planning to sell one back if I got a pair, but they are all fine, so I have kept them. If there ever is an issue, the odd angel out will be re-homed of course.
However, I would never re-home my 3 into a 30 gallon tank because ever though they get along famously, I am sure their peace would end if they did not have enough space to feel comfortable.
Its cool that you saw them lay eggs. I had to wait quite a while before I saw my pair spawn. They kept doing it while I was away!

Like I said, mine are unique. I was planning to sell one back if I got a pair, but they are all fine, so I have kept them. If there ever is an issue, the odd angel out will be re-homed of course.

Yep, I hear ya'....just sharing!

Angels can be feisty little things when they want to be! :nono:

Yep, I hear ya'....just sharing!

Angels can be feisty little things when they want to be! :nono:
Indeed. I have heard absolute horror stories about them as well! I was soooooooo amazed when all my fishies got along! I kept expecting an apocalypse to break out, but they are all mature and still have no problems. I definitely still keep an eye on the situation though.

What are good tankmates with angels if you put a pair in a 40g?
Most any schooling tetra over 2 inches, corys, a dg, any small pleco, paradise fish, rainbows, small loaches, platys, swords, and rams to name a few. I keep a school of rummies, corys, pitbull plecos, kuhlis, and a couple platys.

absolutangel04 said:
However, I would never re-home my 3 into a 30 gallon tank because ever though they get along famously, I am sure their peace would end if they did not have enough space to feel comfortable.
Its cool that you saw them lay eggs. I had to wait quite a while before I saw my pair spawn. They kept doing it while I was away!

Yeah! One of them I came home after but her breeding tube was still out so she had just done it. and was hanging around the eggs. The other angels papilla wasnt out as well. I waited to see if the other would fertilize the eggs but it didn't happen. Then a week later I walk in on the other one in the middle of laying eggs.

I tried to get a pair when picking them out so I'm thinking of maybe switching one with another one at the store I think is male so they can breed. But idk if those two will get along:( and my 2 get along so well now, idk if I wanna mess with that.

Most any schooling tetra over 2 inches, corys, a dg, any small pleco, paradise fish, rainbows, small loaches, platys, swords, and rams to name a few. I keep a school of rummies, corys, pitbull plecos, kuhlis, and a couple platys.

Agreed...Nothing too small that they can eat. I have black neons, a three spot gourami, and black skirt tetra with my angels.

3 angels in a 30 should not be a problem, especially if 2 are females. I have kept 2 pair in a 30 without a problem. Sometimes it depends on the individuals. Some are just nasty.

A sure fire way is to wait til the breeding tubes drop down. Otherwise it's very hard

Back
Top Bottom