Angelfish - P. scalare

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sieski

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was thinking of purchasing one of these in the future. my 3 lfs gave me 3 different opinions on my dilema.

I intended to house my female guppies and mollies in my 45g. I thought the female guppies with their bigger body size and less flowing fins would be less attractive to an angel fish.

1 lfs said no no no mollies would be fine but guppies wouldn't last long. 2nd lfs said (the 3 who run it) they never had a problem with fully grown guppies and an angel fish in a big tank with plenty og cover for guppies. the 3rd lfs said hmmmmmmmm could go either way.

I'm presuming they are all basing it on very different experiences with these 2 fish together. Some negative some very positive.

Doesn't help me :s

well they will eat the fry. i never had adult angels eat adult guppies. mollies get to be 3-4 inch so they wouldnt be able to eat them. i always keep guppies and angels together since they love fry.

My big male angel doesnt mess with any of the fish but my smaller female angel chases the female gups all day long, doesnt bother the danios or male gups but she has her heart set on those females.

Its a 52g tank.

I keep the female gups in with the angels due to MGamers comment, angels love them fry.

I had the same type of question about marble angels and my neon tetra. They are in a 20g tank. The angels are about quarter sized (body not counting fins). The smallest fish I have are the neon terta and Siamese AE. The angels are pretty peaceful and keep to themselves.

I have been looking a bit up about angels. Seems the aggression factor in them are based on the individual personality of the fish in most cases. It also seems to be the case with them in people I have asked who have had angels.

My big male angel doesnt mess with any of the fish but my smaller female angel chases the female gups all day long, doesnt bother the danios or male gups but she has her heart set on those females.

Its a 52g tank.

I keep the female gups in with the angels due to MGamers comment, angels love them fry.

Angels know where the food comes from. hehehe....I feed mine brine shrimp and now they have eaten all of the ghost shrimp as well. There were 12 ghost shrimp....and now there are only two. I think their days are definitely numbered. I would not trust an angel with a guppy of any size in the long term. They will eat the fry while it lasts, but eventually the guppy males will become lunch as well. Not sure about the females...but I would not put it past them.

Back
Top Bottom