Angelfish Pair Aggression?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mxg5299

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have one gold angelfish in my 60 gallon. I originally bought a pair, but the other didn't eat much and I found it dead after 1 weekend. I immediately replaced that and got a striped angel, but my gold, who had grown, picked on it and that one also didn't make it over 3 days. It's been a few months and I still have ample space in my tank. Is it safe to add another angel if the gold guy is about 4in now? Do angels not do well in groups? He's seemed to establish some dominance in the tank, doesn't attack anything else, but I was under the impression that angels were community fish and peaceful cichlids.

I really don't know much about Angels, but if the one you have has killed 2 others, I wouldn't add any more. At least until you get advice from people who know Angelfish.

I recently got angelfish for the first time and was advised to get 4 of the same size at the same time, which I did. That's been a couple of months and so far they are all good in the tank. If after a few more months I end up with a pair, I am prepared to move those 2 to a separate tank where they can't become aggressive to the rest of the tank.

Good luck, hope you get some good advice soon.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

By the same size, I mean I got 4 babies, about the size of a quarter.

This is a topic that has plenty of mileage here.
Angels in a confined space have unpredictable behavior ....from my experience.
There have been times I have kept 3-4 angels for years in a tank without any issues but that is an exception.
Once angels get past a certain age they can get territorial and aggressive, some of it might have to do with mating as well.
Mixing angels can be challenging, lots of patience when introducing them into the tank and always have a plan B ready in case you need to remove one or two.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have 6 or so that squabble all the time in a 150 gallon tank. I'm not sure getting on is in their nature but a lot of it seems to be testing the waters. I'd dread getting a real problem one.

Once they mature they definitely have the potential for aggression. I'd stick to the one you have. No since in rocking the boat if everything is going well. You never know with angels, just like any other cichlid.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If not another angel, what else could I add? I have 6 gold barbs, 3 giant danio, 2 boesmani rainbows, and 2 clown loaches (ik they get big, won't be staying long term, probably get corys or angelicus botia) and plan on getting a school of oto cats for cleaning. Once again, it's 60 gallons, so I have plenty of room.

If not another angel, what else could I add? I have 6 gold barbs, 3 giant danio, 2 boesmani rainbows, and 2 clown loaches (ik they get big, won't be staying long term, probably get corys or angelicus botia) and plan on getting a school of oto cats for cleaning. Once again, it's 60 gallons, so I have plenty of room.

You could up your giant danio school to 6. Also unfortunately your clowns will do better with maybe 2-3 more due to the fact that they are social fish. Just remember that with more danios you run the risk of spooking the other fish since they like to zoom around the tank.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Angels are territorial. The one you have thinks the whole tank belongs to him and doesn't want strangers in his territory. To add another one you need to take him out for a while, rearrange the decor a little, put the other one in first and then put him back in a few hours later. Another tank would be good but a five gallon bucket with an airstone would work.

Would that just apply to a pair or would you be able to add two and have a group of 3

I would think you could add two without all the fuss. They will spar a little until they get the pecking order sorted out but then they should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom