angelfish problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patola_l

Aquarium Advice Freak
In my 29gallon, i recently added 2 angelfish form my LFS. they are the only things in the tank, and they are still quite young, maybe 2-3 inches, from the very top to the very bottom of their fins. I noticed that they don't really hang around together. One seems to pick on the other one a bit as well. He will make runs at it and scare it to another area of the tank and will do this a few times. The aggressive one explores the thank much more, while the other just swims by the glass and stays near the top of the tank. However sometimes when i walk in the room they seem to be peaceful together but if i stay and watch i can see the aggression by one of them. What should i do? any ideas? there are some tall cypts and vals that run to the top of the tank to help block the sight of vision.

note: there is no visual damage to the fins at all on either of the angels and they both are eating as well. I should also add that they both seem to be breathing normally. i know stressed fish often breathe rapidly.

IME with Angels I would recommend looking for a pair @ the Lfs store that pair together, or swim together. Would you be able to take them back?

my tank parameters are good, 0ammo, o nitrite, and maybe 15 nitrate... they might take them back, my only issue is there i about 30 of them in one well planted tank at the store, so even if i could pick out two that look paired, catching them, while they dart around and mix up would be tricky. As far as the tank size, i think 29 is enough, especially since they are so small right now. 29 would be minimum for adults i agree, but if they are this young, i think 29 is ample, and if they breed(which would be nice) it is recommend to put them in a 20gal tall, so this should be more than enough(for now at least).

Yeah, space shouldn't be an issue since they are small and the only things in there. But, thats angels for you. They can certainly be little demons. Some just simply can be aggressive. Still, it does not sound serious. Angel courtship actually looks more like street fighting than anything else. Chasing isn't a big deal. If you are concerned or if you want to try to get a pair, take back the aggressive one and trade it for a different angel and hope for the best.

thanks absolutangel04, what would you do? judging by your name, i take it you have experience, would you let it play out or not? it doesn't necessarily bother me. I just don't want it to be something that will harm the less aggressive guy/girl. If it is simply a male trying to court a female then that is a good thing. Any advice?

thanks absolutangel04, what would you do? judging by your name, i take it you have experience, would you let it play out or not? it doesn't necessarily bother me. I just don't want it to be something that will harm the less aggressive guy/girl. If it is simply a male trying to court a female then that is a good thing. Any advice?
Personally, i would let it be for a bit. It sounds more like territorial behavior than courting, but every once in awhile angels surprise you. I thought 2 of mone were fighting, but they ended up being a pair. Watch for fin damage though. Mouthing is just them figuring out a pecking order, but fin damage means one is picking on the other. So, keep an eye on it for a a bit and see what happens. After all, they have no voiceboxes to discuss things, so they have use physical means to figure things out. Sometimes though, an angel can turn out to be just downright nasty. If the shier one loses color, gets serious damage, or seems to be picked on all the time, then trade back the aggressor and try again.:)

thanks so much. that is exactly what i needed to hear. i will wait another week or 2 and see how things go. Hopefully they work out.

Sounds good. I hope it works out. Of all the fish I have ever kept, angels are the most individualistic. They have variable temperaments and some are gentle and some are sorta evil. :) I love them though.

just wanted to give an update...with advice from a LFS guy who i trust very much, and is very knowledgable. I added one more angelfish from that bunch, and after 1 week, 2 have paired. Im not sure which of the 3 have paired but now there is no aggression between any of them, the 2 stay close together, and the lone angel minds their own business and all is looking well. thanks for the help everyone.

Sounds good. Still keep an eye on it. Usually, 3 angels will not get along long term. As they get older, the odd-angel-out usually suffers abuse.
I have 3 adult angels in my 40g, and they get along though. Sometimes it is possible, but I have only ever heard of 1 other time when an angel trio worked. So, remember not to get too attached because more than likely ou will still have to rehome your lone angel. Also, 29 gallons is not enough for 3 angels.

Sounds good. Still keep an eye on it. Usually, 3 angels will not get along long term. As they get older, the odd-angel-out usually suffers abuse.
I have 3 adult angels in my 40g, and they get along though. Sometimes it is possible, but I have only ever heard of 1 other time when an angel trio worked. So, remember not to get too attached because more than likely ou will still have to rehome your lone angel. Also, 29 gallons is not enough for 3 angels.

I have to agree, I have had angels for years and found that 3 never worked for me even when I had 4 and one died, they re-established the pecking order and it was odd man out. I have experienced the same thing with them as juveniles though that you described orginally. Usually it works itself out, but they really can be mean to one another. Good luck!

that makes sense, is the best idea to return the lone angel? i think that makes sense, i may wait a week or 2 more, just to make sure the pair are together for good haha

that makes sense, is the best idea to return the lone angel? i think that makes sense, i may wait a week or 2 more, just to make sure the pair are together for good haha

IMO yes, especially if two have seemd to pair off or at least get along together, 3 would be to much for a 29gal, again in my opinion.

i think for now, 3 isn't a big deal, as they are very young and small, but i know that in a short time, they will get larger, and it would be an issue for sure, so it makes most sense to re-home it now or asap, so that it can grow up healthy without getting stressed if the new pair choses to get aggressive towards it. Thanks for the helpful advice

Maybe they are just adjusting to their new environment, just give them time.

Back
Top Bottom