Angelfish Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skywhitney

Aquarium Advice Addict
Are Angelfish known to jump out of the tanks?

The reason I ask is I will be moving my tank to a 40b and I wanted to know if I needed a lid cause I like letting some of the plants grow out of the tank.

Let me start by first saying, lids are not needed. i would get one however. angelfish dont typically jump but every fish is different. however, many bottom feeders such as loaches, sharks and some catfish will jump out! i have also had tetras, hatchet fish, mollies, silver dollars, platies and many other types of fish jump. many fish will also jump when swimming in the current. I can further get an idea of your situation if you list your tank's stock.

Sure thing. This will be the stock:
1x Angelfish
4x Peppered Cory (probably up these guys by another 3 or so)
1x Clown Pleco
4x Nerite Snails
Shrimp (Amanos and Ghost)

Filter: Fluval 406

I have one on my tank now which i'll probably move over to the new tank then when i switch things around. Probably won't take the gamble.

When startled, angelfish can jump. I've never had it happen but I have startled mine and immediately closed the lid. I would just to be safe. I you have a large tank or plenty of hiding places, u may be able to forego the lid. Its ur call.

Eitheir way good Luck!! i once had a red sword tail platy and the little bugger would jump in the current from the filter into the filter! it was crazy, i had never seen anything like it before. I wish you the best of luck!!:)

I got my lids originally cause one of my Platy decided to try to go skydiving. My dog found her on the floor and alerted me so she was able to go back into the tank in time without any problems. I'll see if i can create a lid that can let my plants grow emersed and also keep the fish in the tank. Time for another project....

None of the fish you have listed are jumpers. I had an angelfish jump out but like fish fanatic said, every fish is unique. Plecos wouldn't be classified as escape experts but I had a BN some how get behind the aquarium.

as the angel gets older he or she will eat the shrimp . all my angel tanks are open top and i have 6 and never had a suicide jump yet.

FishFanatic88 said:
Let me start by first saying, lids are not needed. i would get one however. angelfish dont typically jump but every fish is different. however, many bottom feeders such as loaches, sharks and some catfish will jump out! i have also had tetras, hatchet fish, mollies, silver dollars, platies and many other types of fish jump. many fish will also jump when swimming in the current. I can further get an idea of your situation if you list your tank's stock.

As fishfanatic88 said every fish is different for instants my angel fish slowly drifts in the current the power head makes and waits for me to feed him blood worms he tends to jump out a lot :) he never did it when he was small

I think I'll definitely put a lid on the tank. I don't want to take the chance.

Time to buy another lid...

Back
Top Bottom