Angelfish Schooling Tank Mates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TrueEnvy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone I'm upgrading to a 75-90gallon fish tank and I currently have 4 angelfish 1 thick lip gruomi and one pearl one (sorry can't spell that) and 2 Yoyo loaches and a bunch of ghost shrimp. I want to add a school of fish to my tank when I upgrade... I've had blackskirts and they did not work at all. They killed my angelfish one after another. And I have a pH at 8.0-8.2 (Currently moving soon so that might change) I was looking at Rummy Nose tetras due to they look amazing. But I've read a LOT that they live a acidic pH so under 7.0 and I'm not going to play jump rope with my water chemistry. Dose anyone know of some good schoolers I can put in with the angels? I don't want any thought that they might fin nip the angels at all.

Hello!

I often recommend Silver Dollars - they are peaceful and get roughly the same size as Angelfish. A few things to bear in mind: They will DESTROY live plants (they are herbivores) and they...well....get roughly the same size, so building a school of them can be pricy for your aquarium real-estate.

I've also had many claim good luck with black neon tetras - They get a bit larger than the regular neons (1.5"), but have that same basic shape - no big fins to entice your angels to bully them. I've heard lemon tetras are good mates too, but as my store does not keep any, I know next to nothing about them. I'd guess that Buenos Ares and Bleeding Heart tetras would also be a good match, as they don't seem nippy, showy, or hyperactive.

I hear Cherry or Rosy barbs work well, but I'm just not sure....they seem pretty active and I've heard more active fish can stress Angels.

Good Luck :)

Ya I have live plants and would like to keep them lol and I've never seen black tetras. Do you happen to have a picture?

I don't have a pic myself, but heres one:

Black Neon Tetra,Â*(Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi)Â*Species Profile, Black Neon Tetra,Â*(Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi)Â*Care Instructions, Black Neon Tetra,Â*(Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi)Â*Feeding and more.Â*Â*::Â*Â*Aquarium Domain.com

I've always liked the look of them. The site I linked to says they are not suited to Angel fish tanks, but I've heard many customers I actually DO trust (few and far between!) say they work well. Guess everything is a risk. Sorry all my suggestions are pretty dull-colored :)

Penguin tetras or bleeding heart tetras would be nice. The ph seems high.

Praecox, boesemani, red iraniian, or turquoise rainbows would be an excellent schooling fish for angels.

Some others:
Harlequin Rasbora
Cory Cats
Hatchets
Platies
Mollies

Hello everyone I'm upgrading to a 75-90gallon fish tank and I currently have 4 angelfish 1 thick lip gruomi and one pearl one (sorry can't spell that) and 2 Yoyo loaches and a bunch of ghost shrimp. I want to add a school of fish to my tank when I upgrade... I've had blackskirts and they did not work at all. They killed my angelfish one after another. And I have a pH at 8.0-8.2 (Currently moving soon so that might change) I was looking at Rummy Nose tetras due to they look amazing. But I've read a LOT that they live a acidic pH so under 7.0 and I'm not going to play jump rope with my water chemistry. Dose anyone know of some good schoolers I can put in with the angels? I don't want any thought that they might fin nip the angels at all.

You could try a school of cardinal tetras. They should leave the angels alone. I would recommend you bring your school of angels up to five, an odd number is better for angels. I would also add a couple more yoyo's, I think they like their own species but I'm not positive on that. Some rainbows would also look nice, maybe some boesemanis or Australian? Another good schooling fish would be rasboras.

You could try a school of cardinal tetras. They should leave the angels alone. I would recommend you bring your school of angels up to five, an odd number is better for angels. I would also add a couple more yoyo's, I think they like their own species but I'm not positive on that. Some rainbows would also look nice, maybe some boesemanis or Australian? Another good schooling fish would be rasboras.

The only reason I didn't suggest Cardinal tetras is that they greatly prefer a lower pH water and can have a lot of health problems when kept too high.

Cool! I thing I'm going to try some black tetras and some rummy nose ones and then get a few rainbows hope they look good ^.^ thanks everyone

The only reason I didn't suggest Cardinal tetras is that they greatly prefer a lower pH water and can have a lot of health problems when kept too high.

Could you have neon tetras instead? I forgot to check to see if they had similar parameters, my apologies. But neons have a similar look as cardinals but different parameters if I'm right. Or do both species of tetras meet different requirements?

Ya if I see a Koi angel I well pick it up and I'm going to get 3more Yoyo as soon as the petstore gets them in.

I have 9 eastern Australian rainbows and a large school of harlequins with my angel. They all do great together. The angel must think its a rainbowfish sometimes the way she swims with them lol.

Could you have neon tetras instead? I forgot to check to see if they had similar parameters, my apologies. But neons have a similar look as cardinals but different parameters if I'm right. Or do both species of tetras meet different requirements?

Angel fish are natural predators of Neon Tetras so when the Angels are bigger you will slowly start to see your school go down.

Sharks are generally considered predator tank only.

Personally I'd stick to your angels and gourami. Add another angel. And definitely go for the 90g if you want them to reach full size.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sharks are generally considered predator tank only.

Personally I'd stick to your angels and gourami. Add another angel. And definitely go for the 90g if you want them to reach full size.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The op is referring to Rose Line Sharks aka Denison Barb. They are far from predators and very peaceful. Same goes for Chinese Hi Fin Banded, Silver Apollo, and Columbian sharks. However, not all of those will fit well in a 90.

Yes the, "Denison Barb" I love to coloring and I've seen ONE at my local chain store next time I see them I well pick a few up

Did a little research: it looks like people often have a lot of trouble keeping cardinals/neons with angels....their long slender bodies make them too tempting as a snack. As with all things, others said they do fine - wish I had more personal experience!

Perhaps the black ones work because they have a little bit more of a "robust" build: a little rounder and wider, though they are reported to have the same max size of 1.5"

Where I live, the city water is pretty acidic: around 6.5. I like having a local place I can trust to get fish that won't spread disease into my tank, because, hey, the fish here are already acclimated to my local pH :D

*EDIT* Whoops, sorry for the backtrack in the convo, I was responding to FrogFrenzy, and didn't see that this reached two pages

Like the look of the bleeding heart tetra! I've seen them a lot but have always thought they would be jest like the black skirts I had

Back
Top Bottom