Angelfish sorority or fraternity tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

merlin5

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, all - I have searched a number of posts (and other sites :)), and I wondered if anyone had experience with all-male or all female angelfish tanks.

Recently I had 12 full-grown (but mostly raised together) angles in one of the 75 gallon tanks, and a pair in the other 75 gallon. The high stocking rate in the one tank was to dilute aggression, and it worked pretty well - right up until I messed it up by re-homing some of the pairs. Dang! I knew that would be a risk, but there was one pair that ended up hiding most of the time, so I thought a change was necessary. I currently have 4 pairs and a singleton. 2 pair are happily "sharing" (ie, posturing, but no real fighting) one tank, and I have the rest of the fish spread between some other tanks, and a divider in the other 75. Tried the other 2 pair in the basement 75 gallon, but there were serious fisticuffs.

I have a couple of small spawns growing out at the moment, and wondered about a tank of all males (say, 8 fish in the 75) and a tank of all females.

They are growing out together, don't think you'll have a problem with doing that. The males you might later have a problem with, but when there's no females there's usually no fighting. Most males you'll almost always have 1 that's a jerk when they get bigger. Females together no problem...

Back
Top Bottom