Angelfish w/ Guppies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kreesdqban

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have gotten different answers on this from compatibility charts from both LiveAquaria.com and Petco. What does everyone think? Does anybody have them living together?

I have 2 angelfish and would like to get a few guppies for color and elegance in the tank.

It all depends on the fish. My angels grew up with tankmates that were similar in size to them when the angels were small and now they live peacefully with neons in my community tank, which are their natural prey in the wild. Guppies are smaller than neons and the angels would definitely be able to eat them if they were interested. If you are wanting to put them in the same tank together I'd introduce a few at first but only after you make sure your fish are WELL FED. Don't introduce the guppies at feeding time either since the angels may think of them as food.

I recently picked up a Koi Angelfish, about 4" big (not including fins). I let him eat some guppy fry from my 10g, he ate pretty much everything that fit into his mouth. I now have him in my 30g with some 3 month old guppies with no problems. Every once in a while he will chase them away from his spot, but has not nipped or eaten anyone, yet. :)

Well I have one large Black Angelfish that seems to be nocturnal and shy. I have put plants and objects so that it can hide but it doesn't seem to come out. I was thinking of trading it in for some other, more lively, fish.

Thanks for the input!

How long have you had the angelfish? Mine took a few days to feel safe enough to venture out of his hiding spot. This was in a tank with just guppies too.

Ive had the angelfish for months now. I just don't like how shy he is so I'm gunna see if an LFS will take him so i can get another one.

In my experience, it works best if you introduce a brand new young Angelfish to an established tank of guppies rather than trying to do it the other way around.

Fish vary widely though...I've had an Angelfish that would be pestered by platies and would give up territory to them and on the other hand I had an Angelfish that pretty much kept a Convict cichlid out of the upper half of the tank and isolated to only 1/2 of the lower part of the tank while leaving the other inhabitants alone.

Well Ill probably get rid of the large black angelfish and I wont have to worry about the young zebra angel, hes very nice and gets along with the other fish.

Back
Top Bottom