Angelicus Botia Loach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

i3k

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does anyone know if Angelicus Botia Loach can do well in brackish water? or can they tolerate salt at all?

Thanks.

Really doubt it. They're from clear South American streams. REALLY wouldn't try it... Not a wise idea with non-brackish species, probably even worse with species that doesn't have scales.

I have two. Though if you look them up on Fishbase.org, you probably won't find them... I think they're actually called Gangetic Loaches (Botia rostrata).

I add aquarium salt for stress relief, but that's a very small amount-1 tablespoon per 10 gallons.

I add 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons to make my water brackish. For now I have the botias in another tank in fresh water, but I was just wondering if they would do ok in brackish water. Well thanks for the advise.

hmmm... 1 tbspn per 5 gallons isn't very salty--that might work. But I'm the cautious type. If it's not a brackish species, I wouldn't put it in a brackish tank.

Out of curiousity, why do you have a brackish tank; ie:what kind of fish are living in there? I agree with madasa; 1 tbsp per 5g isn't brackish. If its a true brackish fish in there, salt levels of 1.005-1.012 (depending on the fish) are more appropriate. I know 7.6 grams of salt per gallon equals about 1.002 sg, so it would take more then a tbsp per 5g to kick the levels up high enough to be truly brackish.

Loaches can tolerate a low level of salt for short periods of time, but I wouldn't suggest making it a regular thing with them as they are truly freshwater fish. Theres some more info about them on loaches.com if you're interested: http://www.loaches.com/species_pages/botia_sp_myanmar.html

Back
Top Bottom